Jaguar XE Forum banner

XF 3.0 Supercharged to XE S?

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Current owner of a 2013 XF with the 3.0 V6 supercharged engine here, thinking about replacing it with an XE S. I'm in no rush to change, so holding out for one in a preferred colour {not black or white, which cuts down the choice a fair bit!) and with a good spec.

I've been looking and lurking since I joined the forum in February, but finally found one that ticks most of the boxes and hoping to arrange a test drive at the weekend, so thought it was time for my first post.

#2 ·
Hi Mercurio,
Please make sure you drive the XE engine to avoid disappointment from your V6 supercharged.
The diesels 180ps are good torque for overtaking on tight and twisting roads but lack the top end power for straight high speed drags.
The XE chassis is an absolute joy :)
Enjoy your search.

#3 ·
From memory there have been one or two before you who have gone from the XF to the XE and have said the XE feels taughter on the road.
Plenty of used S's out there so the usual thing of buying the newest and best spec you can afford still stands.
The Model Year 18 (April 2017 onwards) saw a few changes including the engine going from 340 to 380 and a few trim things.
It also introduced the digital dash (cost option with the Pro system) which I really liked.
A few MY17's were still being registered around April so check the spec carefully.

#5 ·
I think there was something like only 800 V6s in the UK and only around 50 for sale at any given time. I know there are a few with bad specs though (IRR with blue leather springs to mind). I looked around for 12 months to find a very good spec!

#6 ·
I went from the 3.0 litre XF to the XES and have never regretted it. The drive is an absolute pleasure. The one thing I miss from my XF is the air conditioned seats but this is compensated by the electric sun roof (I could not be without it), when open can really hear the exhaust noise which is awesome. The digital dash is great and an added bonus is the heated steering wheel in winter. I have not driven the 340 but would go for the 380. One of the biggest plus points is the mpg which I average in the region of 34mpg driving in Dynamic all the time. The specs vary considerably so make sure the car you choose has the things you want. Oh and try the stop/start if it is working that is a real bonus.

#7 ·
I can vouch for the V6 XES 380bhp - go for that spec - :lol: :D :lol: :eek: I would avoid the distance cruise control unless you can't live without it and you don't mind the flat plastic front grill logo thingy!!

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've driven the 180 diesel and 250 petrol XE back in 2016, so have a good idea of what to expect from the chassis, but had my head turned by the approved used XF V6 Portfolio for less than the price of a new XE.

It is a used V6 S that I'm looking for. My XF has the 340 engine so I'm sure I'd be happy with the same engine in an XE, but a 380 with a good spec would be the icing on the cake.

I haven't been offered a good deal on the 340 I've enquired about, so my search continues. I remember seeing the IRR car with blue leather - did someone really spec that or could it have been an error when the order was placed?

#9 ·
I was really impressed with the new XF when I drove it, even in the 25T format. I think it looks a little more impressive than the XE as well, sitting side by side though maybe you have to be an owner to notice. Personally I think that the one you have looks more special (I had a 2008 XF 4.2 then a 2011 XF 5.0) both inside and out, though the new chassis is a better drive, especially around corners. I've tracked the XE S several times (340hp), even as an average driver I felt like I couldnt make it fall off the road whereas the previous gen had a lot of mass which you tend to feel in sharp turns.

If I didnt need room in the back seat, I'd take the new XE over the new XF. Tighter to drive, easier to park, more bang for your buck. With the kids driving themselves now, the XE suits perfectly for the family car with the occasional use of the back seats.

#10 ·
Thanks for your thoughts on the new XE v new XF. I think you've summed up why I'm happy to downsize to the XE perfectly. We don't have kids so the back seats don't get much use and the size of the spaces in some of our local car parks is less than generous for the XF!

I see you are on the Gold Coast down under. I know it well as the GC was our temporary home in 2017 and 2018 when I was working on the Commonwealth Games. We were living in Southport and I watched the new Jaguar showroom being built as I drove past it on my way to and from work. We had a great time there and still miss it, but it was good to get back in a Jaguar on our return here.

#11 ·
Awesome! Yes the showroom is all done, carpark is challenging but otherwise lovely. Our XE P300 HSE has just come off the ship (been having fun tracking the journey on vesselfinder, fair weather "Morning Lena" on your way to Korea) so I'll be taking delivery from Southport in a week or two.

Middle of winter here - sunny, about 18 celsius, might go for a walk at the beach later lol.

#12 ·
Mercurio said:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've driven the 180 diesel and 250 petrol XE back in 2016, so have a good idea of what to expect from the chassis, but had my head turned by the approved used XF V6 Portfolio for less than the price of a new XE.

It is a used V6 S that I'm looking for. My XF has the 340 engine so I'm sure I'd be happy with the same engine in an XE, but a 380 with a good spec would be the icing on the cake.

I haven't been offered a good deal on the 340 I've enquired about, so my search continues. I remember seeing the IRR car with blue leather - did someone really spec that or could it have been an error when the order was placed?
The red/blue one was probably an error somewhere along the line between ordering and production as I doubt someone would spec that combination. I was quite happy to buy it used for a discount though as the car was otherwise exactly what I was looking for. With the tinted glass it's very difficult to see unless you have the doors open, and honestly it's not something that bothers me.

#13 ·
I had dark blue leather in my silver s60R, it looked awesome and was beautiful analine. I wouldnt pick it for a red car, but I'd take it over red seats which always reminds me of something from Carrie.

G
#14 ·
Inpher said:
Mercurio said:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I remember seeing the IRR car with blue leather - did someone really spec that or could it have been an error when the order was placed?
The red/blue one was probably an error somewhere along the line between ordering and production as I doubt someone would spec that combination.
That car was sold to a member on here after a history check. It was car number 253 and the first XE-S made and we thought they just put any interior they could find in to get it off the line to test it. There is a topic on here somewhere but I can't remember whether I posted or PM'ed the history. Sorry on hols!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.