Vibration at tick-over

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MalcolmT 
#1 ·
Hi all.
2.0d 180 2016
23,800 miles
Car is JUST within warranty
Started about 3 weeks ago
There's a SLIGHT vibration at tickover, which seems worse when cold.
And vanishes in all other situations - such as driving.
My first thought, dating back to days when we had distributors and carburettors, was that the tickover speed was a little low.
I took her in for an oil and filter change today (not due - but thought it was a good investment).
Dealer wants it back for a full day to explore - mentioned engine mounts.
Searching on here, this seems to be a common(ish) problem.
I thought it was a small problem - maybe not!
They also found a slight leak from a rear damper they're going to change next week.
Anybody else had this problem?
And should I ask for the OTHER damper to be changed at the same time?
I realise that this would be at my expense, but I've always thought you never do anything to just ONE side.
Full marks to my dealer (Hursts).
Looks like a very thorough check
Tyre are down to 3-4 mm, so they're due for changing pretty soon
Pretty good tyre life.
Should I get the dealer to change them, or go to my usual tyre dealer (who is very good)?

See less See more
#2 ·
This sounds like the classic engine mounts issue with vibration at tickover.
They should change both rear dampers.
If not then point out it could be a safety issue with a possible imbalance between a new shock and an old shock on the other side.
If they are any decent they should change both as it's good practice.
As regards tyres, if their prices are competitive with your usual tyre dealer then maybe get them to do it.
Although most use a dedicated tyre place along the lines of "jack of all trades and master of none" type thing.

I read your comment about stop start on another topic.
As you are still in warranty then make sure you get everything sorted before the warranty finishes.
If your stop/start is "intermittent" then it may well be down to the usual conditions that prevent it working all the time especially at this time of year with air con systems on max etc.
But it might be best to get them to apply the latest software update for the battery monitoring/charging system as a belt and braces measure under warranty.

#3 ·
Phil,
Thanks very much for your very prompt and very helpful reply.
I'll take it up with them next week, when I'm booked in again.
The XE 180 is my perfect car.
Yesterday I was driving my wife's car (other make) and realised how much more noticeable bumps in the road etc. are
Really makes me appreciate the great job Jaguar have done on the chassis.

#4 ·
Phil,
Thanks again for your helpful reply
I took the car in again today - Jaguar are only prepared to replace the faulty damper.
If I want the other one replaced (I do) I have to pay for it.

I've put a post in the Company Relations bit to see what Jaguar's response is.

i think it's ridiculous to just cover replacement of a single damper
I was always brought up (when I was a suspension engineer many moons ago) to believe that EVERYTHING suspension-related
was done to BOTH sides.

This is NOT a complaint about the dealer - they've been first-rate and are only relaying what Jaguar are prepared to cover.

Malcolm

#5 ·
I don't know what the current thinking on shocker longevity is, but in my day it was around 30,000 miles, so at 24,000, I would suggest that an imbalance was pretty much an inevitability.

#6 ·
Yes.
We used to reckon on 36,000 miles.
Provided the dampers still match, we probably adjust to their deterioration gradually
I know when I used to drive Company cars (for Ford), I didn't notice anything wrong.
When they had new dampers fitted (always matched) the difference was remarkable.

Malcolm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.