Jaguar XE Forum banner

Reverse camera harness

17K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Mattias 
#1 ·
Hi,
Reverse camera quit working - car tells while starting that camera system unavailable. First time it blew the 10amp fuse and after replacing the fuse camera worked for a day before going completely dead. Fuses are now ok. I removed the boot panels and checked the harness for obvious damage but could not find one. I would like to measure that wires are ok, but it was not obvious where the other end of the loom is. The wires go into a plastic channel around the rear seat. Does anyone know how far the connector is and what more needs to be removed to get there?

It does not look that the harness would be strained when opening/closing the boot lid, thus I doubt that the harness is the problem but would like to check, since new camera would be around 300 pounds.
Best,
Mika

#2 ·
As per below, power is from the rear junction box and video goes to the audio head unit (unless you have surround camera setup). Audio head unit is either in the dash for Touch or left side of the boot for touch pro.

Attachments

#3 ·
Over the last 18 months, my rear camera has thrown a wobbler from time to time and says it's unavailable, but it has never blown a fuse. It usually goes off for a couple of days and then mysteriously all is well again. I did ask the the dealer to check it 12 months ago when the car was in for a new condenser before the 3 year warranty expired, but at that time it was working fine and they couldn't find anything. Doesn't seem to be weather related so no idea what the problem is. I am not really bothered about it, if it expires so be it, but so far it has always come back to life on it's own.

Reactions: XJ53C
#4 ·
Maybe it's a software issue. My camera occasionally doesn't work but the surround sensors get displayed on the screen instead. It appears that the system gets confused on what it should be showing. Maybe something amiss with your software.

#5 ·
Mikeyjd said:
Maybe it's a software issue. My camera occasionally doesn't work but the surround sensors get displayed on the screen instead. It appears that the system gets confused on what it should be showing. Maybe something amiss with your software.
Could well be but it doesn't happen very often so I'm not really bothered. The car is after all a computer on wheels so you just have to expect some glitches at times

#6 ·
BOBCDP said:
Mikeyjd said:
Could well be but it doesn't happen very often so I'm not really bothered. The car is after all a computer on wheels so you just have to expect some glitches at times
So the story about 'if cars were built by Gates and Co', is coming true then? We'll all be stopping on the hard shoulder to re-boot . . . . Errr??? Wot hard shoulder? :eek:

#7 ·
I finally got this sorted out. I had an old fashioned broken wire - nothing to do with the software. The first cable tie that is on the roof of the boot was extremely tight and the blue +12V wire was broken right after the tie. Unfortunately also the coaxial video signal cable was in pretty bad shape but luckily it is still working. Some new wire, soldering and heat shrinking tubes and everything is back in business.

Here are a couple of pics of the broken wire and the location of the cable tie in case someone experiences similar issues.

Broken power feed:
Electrical wiring Engineering Electronic component Cable Electronic engineering

Location of the brekage / cable tie.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

Big thanks to Marks_DTM - the wiring diagram was essential!

Attachments

#9 ·
My rear view camera I sounds like it has a similar problem. It works fine when the boot is raised, then as soon as I shut it I get a message saying camera not working and soon after the navigation screen and climate control will all go off. In terms of finding the fault, did you uncovering the wiring harness that feeds off the rear view camera?

#10 ·
Mikeyjd said:
Mine does exactly the same. When I reverse every morning out of my drive, it works 100% of the time. When the other sensors are involved, as in a three point turn, the camera goes off and it just displays sensors. It won't come back on by selecting reverse, or the camera button, until the ignition is cycled, then it works normally again.

#11 ·
That happened to my previous Xe with the Touch system, occasionally the rear camera failed to initate but I got the sensor overlay instead.

Not happened yet on the Touch Pro system.

#13 ·
I had this on my Touch system - not pro - and was fixed with a software update.

#15 ·
Hi everyone - exact same issue in exact same place however optical cable is also damaged. I can trace the brown cable from the break into the black plastic cover at the back of the boot but am still looking for the connector. Before I remove the trim on the rhs of the boot can anyone advise where the connector is to allow me to replace the cable please? Cable costs £22 however dealer wants to charge me nearly £600 to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.