Jaguar XE Forum banner

Random beeps

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike Rometer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Tried searching the forum for similar but couldn't find so I do apologise if this is a repetitive post.

I've had my 20D 180 for nearly a year now and over that course I have had this situation happen to me 4 times. Randomly when driving along the car will beep 4 times fairly quickly and flash something up on the dash. Every time there is an audible crunch/scrapping noise but the whole process lasts well under a second. It might be me trying to work out the solution but it felt driver side front wheel! I haven't been looking at the dash at the time it happens and always miss out on what it says.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? This last time I'm sure I was turning slightly right so I was wondering if it was ABS fault? It's never caused me any huge issues except the underlying fear there is a problem that needs attention before it becomes more serious!

#2 ·
It's just the AEB (autonomous emergency braking ) working, can surprise you and go off for no apparent reason if the car thinks you'll hit some thing

#5 ·
Not sure my AEB even works! I've never noticed any auto braking or beeps despite the fact that on a couple of occasions where I thought it would have activated, it hasn't.
My dealer has checked the calibration and found nothing wrong and it's not throwing up any fault codes either.

Perhaps I'll have to drive straight at a parked car and test it out ! :eek: :? ---- :lol: :lol:

G
#6 ·
147daytona said:
Not sure my AEB even works! I've never noticed any auto braking or beeps despite the fact that on a couple of occasions where I thought it would have activated, it hasn't.
My dealer has checked the calibration and found nothing wrong and it's not throwing up any fault codes either.

Perhaps I'll have to drive straight at a parked car and test it out ! :eek: :? ---- :lol: :lol:
After just getting ours we encountered a major braking need on the M62 and the braking was overtaken initially by the AEB I think as it was superb in stopping from 70-0 with pedal pressure increasing as if my remote. Hard to explain but I am convinced it worked 100% with me then taking control in split seconds.
(we seem to have wandered off here to braking)

#7 ·
I think JLR have made its sensitivity spot on. I drove a 2018 Ford S Max which had it fitted and any time someone would cut you up I.e. every single journey, it would flash and beep at you, it got very annoying very quickly. In my XE it's only gone off maybe 2/3 times in 18 months

G
#8 ·
Vespa said:
147daytona said:

After just getting ours we encountered a major braking need on the M62 and the braking was overtaken initially by the AEB I think as it was superb in stopping from 70-0 with pedal pressure increasing as if my remote. Hard to explain but I am convinced it worked 100% with me then taking control in split seconds.
I have just been looking this up and what I experienced was EBA, emergency brake assist not AEB. I was travelling at 70 so the AEB would not function over 50 mph. :oops:

G
#10 ·
147daytona said:
AEB, EBA or whatever, I've not had anything activate in 2 1/2 years of ownership ;)
When it's safe on a clear road hit the brake hard and keep the same pressure on the pedal and you will feel the car stopping harder than your pedal pressure. I have now felt it several times since but the first time, on the M62, I was convinced we would hit the car in front even though I had left a good gap. Luckily those behind also were able to stop quickly.
(we seem to have wandered off here to braking. Also I edited this and it is in the other post of mine???)

#11 ·
147daytona said:

Same here. I asked the dealer to check it was working at the first service and they said it was OK. Guess I'll have to trust them because there's no way I'm going to chance testing it :lol:

#12 ·
I had the AEB go off a couple of weeks ago for only the second time in my experience.
On a straight 30 mph road, a parked car was a bit nearer to a traffic island than I would have liked, meant my turn around the back of it was a bit later than normal due to being squeezed by the island.
Beeps, flash of a big red triangle and the graunch on the brakes but as soon as I started to turn it went off which according to the manual is one of the things that cancels the AEB as well as pressing the gas.

So there's AEB and EBA.
Later models can now have AEBA (Advanced emergency brake assist) and also High-Speed Emergency Braking which if activated has to be re-enabled by a dealer.
Confused???
:lol: :lol:

#15 ·
Nevyn said:
Now I know how it works I can make it trigger. If I'm coming up to a bend with a single car parked on it, driving at 30 mph I'll line the parked car up and aim directly at it. Well before panic point, it will warn me and there's easily time to turn. It's not scarily close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.