Jaguar XE Forum banner

Slight wheel judder at speed

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Tempest XE S 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm having my first potential issue with my XE-S. This morning I was driving to work and at around 50mph and above I experienced a faint "judder", feeling like it was coming from the front passengar side wheel which could be felt through the steering wheel.

It was quite faint at all speeds above 50mph, but it definitely got slightly worse as the speed increased.

This is the first time I've experienced it so I'll test it again on the drive home (assuming rush hour traffic allows!), but does anyone have any initial thoughts on what it could be? The only thing that has changed semi recently was that I replaced a crack alloy in that location around 500 miles ago but issues were felt until today.

#3 ·
Have you very recently had a "giving it some beans" session ?
Followed immediately by a sitting with your foot on the brake pedal period, this could have caused a heat transfer into the disc and warped it OR caused a build up pad material on the disc which can also cause a wobble.
Try a very hard braking session, that will remove any pad build up, just remember to put in "P" if you have to remain stationary while the brakes are still hot.
Other than that find someone with a run out gauge to test for warping or possible impending bearing issues.

#5 ·
Good advice from Phil. Have the tyre checked and re balanced. In my experience a warp in the disc is more noticeable under braking. Again though good advice from Ralphie about not sitting in traffic with your foot on the brake.

#6 ·
I had the same sort of thing for a while. I thought the discs were warped but I change them and the wobble was still there, had the rims refurbished and they were balanced properly and it was still there, then I changed my front tyres and it magically disappeared, no damage could be seen on the old tyres so it may have been a tiny tiny flat spot or something. I was praying it wasnt a buckled rim or wheel bearing issue!

G
#8 ·
Just as an addition here, don't powerwash the wheels when cleaning or having it cleaned as the balance weights could be loosened and come off. Like many of the replies get that wheel balanced and if the crack in the other wheel was caused by a pothole, have the steering geometry checked. Don't forget to claim against the local authority if the wheel was damaged by a pothole. They will have loopholes to get out of pothole payments :lol: :lol: :lol:

#9 ·
I have had the same issue on my S! Had a cracked alloy repaired and then afterwards noticed that there was a very slight judder at speed, went and took the wheels back to be balanced and it was ever so slightly out, re-balanced and it was fine after that

#10 ·
Thanks a lot for the in depth replies gents, very much appreciated.

To answer a few of the queries above, there was a "spirited" drive a few days before but this wasn't for an extended period and was largely on straights so limited hard braking, I'd be surprised if it was enough to heat the discs to a point of warping but I'll check this after having the wheels re-balanced and the tyres checked. I did wonder if the tyre insurance I bought would cover this but (unsurprisingly) I think the arm-length list of exclusions would put me out of luck.

The crack was down to a pothole and I did consider a claim with the council but in the end, work is mad at the moment and I thought it seemed more effort than it was worth. Again, the alloy wheel insurance was useless for me here as well. Again, unsurprisingly.

I'll try and make the time next week for a re-balance and revert back for anyone with a similar issue.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
By way of an update, I took her in to a garage to have the wheel balancing looked at and explained the issue. Had a call back stating there's a level of damage on the tyre that suggests some pothole damage, which would make sense seeing as I've replaced the rims because of this recently but used the same tyres.

Going back in on Thursday to get the tyre changed which will hopefully sort it. Fingers crossed.

#12 ·
Apologies for the delay on finalising this but for anyone in future who searches for this issue, I thought I'd bottom it out.

In the end I had one tyre changed due to the pothole damage but the issue persisted. On inspecting the other front tyre the culprit was found, a bulge on the inner side of the tyre. So after having both changed she's good as new and I'm back to hearing the full song of the supercharged V6 once again.

Worth noting, when buying this the dealer threw in the tyre and alloy wheel cover. I've never made a claim on any insurance policy before and just assumed they would be a nightmare, but I've got to say the service from AutoTrust was top notch. Both tyres changed and paid for by them with minimal fuss, so the policy has virtually paid for itself already.

#16 ·
Vespa said:
Sometimes Nat Tyres include tyre insurance free and I think if you want it anyway they have a small charge of ??? £6 per tyre.
Interesting. Just had a look on their site and seems that their contribution diminishes with tyre tread which is fair enough. Still seems worth while and quite reasonable, noted for future reference!

https://www.national.co.uk/information/guarantees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.