Diesel smell in cabin

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
j.a.mcguire

Re: Diesel smell in cabin

Post by j.a.mcguire » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Don't mean to detract but having seen the comments about the sunglasses holder. Is this feature a selling point for anyone? It's the one thing in the cabin that when I realised what it was for I instantly thought 70's tat.

cipher7

Post by cipher7 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Had the same smell from new (which I would say is similar to the smell that foxes use to leave a scent trail....hence I am inclined to agree that it's the urea in the AdBlue) and having just reached 1000 miles I have reported it to the dealer. The smell is more noticeable on sharp braking or acceleration....presumably as it's sloshing around more under those driving conditions.
On my 2nd 2.0d R-Sport. MY18 out of the box Sep.18. Caesium Blue. Black pack, 19" gloss venoms, heated s/whl & front w/scrn. Old MY16 mpg (69.8) is target to beat. Looking 4ward to Low Fric Start - ice on hills was problem in MY16 vehicle.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:32 am

cipher7 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:58 pm
Had the same smell from new (which I would say is similar to the smell that foxes use to leave a scent trail....hence I am inclined to agree that it's the urea in the AdBlue) and having just reached 1000 miles I have reported it to the dealer. The smell is more noticeable on sharp braking or acceleration....presumably as it's sloshing around more under those driving conditions.
The fuel pump is under the back seat squab. The Adblue tank is situated inside the passenger side back wing. If you can smell anything it will not be the Adblue as that is almost smell free.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I had a diesel FX courtesy car and my wife was certain she could smell fumes in the cabin. After she mentioned it I began to smell it too, especially on motorway journeys.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:19 am

This is just one of the problems with diesel cars and the main reason I chose petrol for my XE.

Barrie
XE 20T 200ps Prestige. Rhodium Silver.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 am

Barrie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:19 am
This is just one of the problems with diesel cars and the main reason I chose petrol for my XE.

Barrie
I think that any diesel smell in any diesel car needs investigating. Mine doesn't smell in the car. As I have said the fuel pump is directly under the back seat and is only accessable with the seat out from inside the car. I suspect that there is a fault here. All the fuel lines need investigating.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 am

Revisiting this ancient post, there is/was a problem with the Diesel Fuel Cooler on some cars and that leaks, which could cause the smell.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4270&p=80912&hilit ... ler#p80912

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,
The diesel smell in the cabin could be related to the Fuel cooler leaking, as has happened to mine, this can easily be punctured see attached photos from Jaguar video.
1st picture shows the mesh cover that sits below the fuel cooler tank on the left side of the car immediately below the front passenger floor pan
2nd picture shows the road debris impact which pushed the mesh into the tank and caused the leak, not that great but enough to take car off the road.

fuel cooler left hand side under passenger floorpan.png

Impact to mesh that caused fuel leak.png

if the smell of diesel is greatest when you coast or stop, then it is likely this is unspent fuel returning from the engine via the fuel cooler, but not reaching the tank. Also the smell of diesel will be strongest outside of the passenger door
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:40 pm

I had this and it was a faulty fuel pipe connection to fuel filter in engine bay
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”