Missing footrest got you down?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Late for Tea

Missing footrest got you down?

Post by Late for Tea » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 am

Lol ... I still remember the banter here about our Jaguar footrest (or deadpedal) - or lack thereof prior to even picking up my caR. I remember the pictures and discussion about what constituted a foot rest ... some seemed to get a rubber pad - most got nothing at all (ok, maybe a "bump" :lol: ).

Here in the USA we don't even get the aluminum pedals you guys get in the UK and elsewhere, on even our top trim models. We also got the "bump" as standard ... expected I suppose since we only got rubber pedals too.

Well, I went out and got the Jaguar accessory pedals. Bought at a slight discount online for 100 USD delivered. Jaguar owes me ... the caR should have come with them ;) . Anyway, I went digging around on EBay in the spare parts bin and made my own dead pedal. I wish in hindsight I would have taken more pictures along the way in the process, but if anyone is interested in doing the same I can elaborate on materials and assembly and add a few photos later if anything is unclear.

Anyway, I found this dead pedal on EBay ... it is from a 2013 Nissan GTR R35. These parts seem to be rather rather ubiquitous and easily found. Some model years are more expensive than others ... inexplicable to me since I know nearly nothing about them. I picked mine up for 35 USD delivered. Here is how it arrived. The last pic shows the part number clearly for reference.

While it may be hard to tell from my crappy photography, the part needed a little cleaning up, but it was never my intention to use it "as is" anyway. It arrived with a little surface corrosion and was actually anodized silver, so it needed a light sanding anyway. I suppose I could have tried to somehow use the clips on the back of the part, but ultimately went with another attachment plan. Here is the part sanded and prepped:

The part is a rather soft cast aluminum ... so I just went over to the old belt sander and did ... well, this:

Anyway, here is the set. Not a perfect match but pretty close. I knew once I mounted it in the car it should appear that they were made together. My only disappointment is that the brushing on the pedal kit goes side to side, and for obvious reasons ... maybe a lack of patience or talent on my part, the brushing on my footrest goes up and down. Anyway, her are all my ducks in a row :p ...

I cut a piece of 1/8 inch thick black ABS sheet stock (8 inches X 2 inches) I had lying around and drilled and countersunk 5 holes in it in an "X" pattern ... then screwed that to the floor roughly where I wanted the pedal with some 3/4 inch long screws. There is nothing under the "bump" to hit and you can actually get the screws to bite into the base of the carpet ... almost feels like soft plastic as you are driving them home. From there I simply used 2-way automotive grade tape and taped the dead pedal onto the plastic. It is actually an incredibly strong mounting method ... I was surprised. There is also a little downturned "lip" on the part that makes the plastic mounting plate invisible from any angle.

Anyway, if you ever want to drive yourself a little bonkers, try doing a little flash photography in your footwell :? . Here is everything mounted up. I will caution people that mounting the pedal kit is a challenge. The brake pedal is especially "fun". Mounting the dead pedal was super simple. Now I have a footrest ... and Jag owes me ... again ;) . I tried one with flash and one without. I may try to get a couple more in the bright weekend sun later ... but you get the idea ...

I suppose you all know that using flash on interior photos can have varying results ...

:shock: :?

FairlyOldGit

Re: Missing footrest got you down?

Post by FairlyOldGit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for the info - very useful!

That's the problem with flash photography it often throws up unexpected results in the background! :lol:

BTW all your photos are excellent, showing clearly what is involved, and the footrest looks like a very good match to the other pedal covers

Richard
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

stever_51

Post by stever_51 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Awesome bit of work there. The photos seem perfectly good to me and I cannot see anything about the footrest that marks it out as being from a different source to the pedals.

You are probably getting used to this by now ...... but I can see how the footrest is useful but what is your passenger supposed to do with the other two pedals?
XE Bluefire & Light Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto Diesel, Folding Mirrors and Parking Pack

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:28 pm

stever_51 wrote:Awesome bit of work there. The photos seem perfectly good to me and I cannot see anything about the footrest that marks it out as being from a different source to the pedals.

You are probably getting used to this by now ...... but I can see how the footrest is useful but what is your passenger supposed to do with the other two pedals?
I will be renting it out part time as a drivers training car :shock: . Think UBER for students ;) . Amazingly Jag was kind enough to put a steering wheel over there too.

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:29 pm

I've always thought a footrest next to the loud pedal would be good when using cruise control.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

mpercib

Post by mpercib » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:26 pm

I am amazed you were able to find such a close match!. I have not been so lucky yet...
Jaguar XE, MY 2017, 3.5t, R-Sport, IRR, Jet/ Red, 20" Propellers w/ red calipers, Al paddle shifters, splash guards, sport pedal covers, dead pedal foot rest, tinted glass, interior trim upgrade, re-badged to R Sport.

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 pm

mpercib wrote:I am amazed you were able to find such a close match!. I have not been so lucky yet...

Doing a quick EBay UK search, you are correct. I did not see any. They are available through the UK site from the same place I got mine from in the US. Since it does show up this way in a UK search it would suggest the seller may be okay with international shipping. The part is not expensive and could be shipped rather compactly, although mine arrived in a big square box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... l&_sacat=0

mpercib

Post by mpercib » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks! I ordered mine and look forward to the installation project - a definite worth it addition - to correct a minor Jaguar miss!
Jaguar XE, MY 2017, 3.5t, R-Sport, IRR, Jet/ Red, 20" Propellers w/ red calipers, Al paddle shifters, splash guards, sport pedal covers, dead pedal foot rest, tinted glass, interior trim upgrade, re-badged to R Sport.

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 am

My apologies ... someone PM'ed me to ask .... presumably about the Jaguar pedal kit. I thought everyone knew this ... maybe a bad assumption on my part. The part number for the Jaguar pedal covers that should have come standard on our caRs ( :p ) is T2H3746 for the auto and T2H3747 for the manual.

mpercib

Post by mpercib » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Followed LFT's guidance and now can rest easy!

pedal1.jpg

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”