Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar XE
BrianS

Re: Stop/Start again a few thoughts

Post by BrianS » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Its definitely updating the gateway module that correct the problem. took me 4 goes with the dealership but when they did that it has worked perfectly ever since however long the journey. If anybody gets the excuse that its short journeys its rubbish. Ask them to update the gateway module
XE 250PS Portfolio 67 Narvic Black, Pro system, parking pack

wdig

Post by wdig » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 am

Agree with last poster - I am sure there was a new update promulgated in the last couple of months which has fixed the "problem" for good. Have to say how annaying it is if you forget to switch it off, but at least I know my battery is OK

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

wdig wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 am
Agree with last poster - I am sure there was a new update promulgated in the last couple of months which has fixed the "problem" for good. Have to say how annaying it is if you forget to switch it off, but at least I know my battery is OK
Mine has failed completely for the last three journeys (after being faultless since 'the' update). I suspect battery condition as I've been doing some journeys of less than 5 miles, though it did do two of 15 on Sunday. The first time it failed to stop as expected, I was standing for about 2 mins and it did eventually stop after about 1 min. Nothing on to drain battery, A/C etc.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 am

Mine has worked perfectly since the battery change and now on these warmer days initiates at the first stop around 1/4 miles from a cold start. No additional charging after PhilB said leave it alone as I was occasionally topping it up to keep it in "good nick" It's not seen a charger for several weeks now and with the odd exceptions 3 mile journeys are about average.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am

I am using the "new" system in the Evoque and whilst it works seamlessly I have found you can fool it sometimes.
If I come to a gradual halt at 10 mph the engine cuts and on stopping the green stop start light comes on.
I then use the "on demand" brake hold (that system really needs to get in the XE) and sit with the engine off and held by the brakes.
Brake lights are off which helps to prevent dazzling at night.
But if I have to get briefly and gently on the gas before coming to a halt the engine starts and then the stop start isn't available on stopping.
Next time it will work perfectly if it's a linear stop.
I think it just fools it's brain.
:lol:
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am

On stopping in my XE if the steering wheel is just gently joggle a bit the engine keeps running. Likewise if I want the engine to start prior to say, a light change so as to be off smartish the same gentle joggle starts it. It has been mentioned before but I found this out not long after getting the car 4 years ago.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

ms1012

Post by ms1012 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Having booked the car in for early August for start/stop (and a few other snagging issues), somewhat incredulously, today start/stop has functioned flawlessly on both my commute journeys. It hasn't worked for the past year. Absolutely mind blowing...

The only thing I can think of is that I had the car unlocked (no engine running) for the better part of 1.5 days over the weekend. Perhaps that drained the battery enough for it to be charged fully during drive my Monday commute...

I'm sure it'll soon default back to being non-functional as the battery reverts back to power levels that are insufficient to trigger start/stop!
MY 2016 180D XE Portfolio - Corris Grey - Nokian WD4 winters

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 am

Possible.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 am

There is/was a recent topic on the F-Pace forums I believe where the dealer fully discharged the battery before giving it a re-charge and updating the software.
Seems to have fixed the issue and I'm wondering if that would be better for the battery?
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am

That is intersting as my new battery was just a few months from manufacture so maybe more ready to do the job than the old one which sat around for the best part of 10 months before getting regular use. However I think some in the post have actually had flat batteries and after recharge the S/S hasn't worked. My car has a lot of extras that are running all the time once started and I wonder if that also stops a full recharge on the 80 Ah battery. It may be interesting to see what electricals as extras have or not been fitted to cars that were having no trouble with S/S. I also note now that it is owners who have older cars bought secondhand that are contributing to this thread rather than newer owners with newer cars. I suspect JLR have secretly been updating Gateway modules and battery control modules to work more effectively with the S/S system. By that I mean when cars go in for service the modules are all updated. For all I know mine could have been updated the length of time it took to change the batteries, hence that is why it works perfectly now.

Return to “Faults & Technical”