Dunlop sportmax tyres perishing

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
FairlyOldGit

Re: Dunlop sportmax tyres perishing

Post by FairlyOldGit » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 pm

My car is in for service and warranty work along with its first MOT -

I got an email 'health report' from work done this afternoon citing... "Advise, all 4 tyres starting to crack at edges."

Now, they are all Dunlop Sportmax, and since the car is only 9000 miles and three years old, should I expect this state of affairs?
and, if it is likely to lead to tyre failures, should I be pressing for replacements FOC?
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 am

They will be cracking from sidewall to tread. My Pirellis did the same. It is a natural hardening of these modern tyres. If they are as I expect just fine cracks I wouldn't worry too much and change them next year before the next MOT. The sun plays a great part in the deterioration. By next year it will be 4 YO and possibly the tyres nearer 5. That is getting to the time when tyres need changing even if not worn out. When I changed mine the car seemed much more quiet on new rubber. The old ones had 5mm and new 8mm approx.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

2Many_Cats

Post by 2Many_Cats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Collected my XE last Sat, and after a careful inspection have found that one tyre - front left - has a noticeable crack around the circumference. Photos have gone to the dealer for workshop analysis and comment.

DOT Code for manufacturing date on the three good tyres is wk 48 in 2016 (Car reg'd Sept'17), while the 'bad' one is wk 48 2016, so I'm assuming a separate batch.

These are 19", and as a point to note I never had any cracking on any tyres with the 20"s on my XF. Bad wear on Dunlop & Pirelli - yes. Goodyear were much better on that car...

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

XE R-Sport 2.5T 2017(67) Loire blue. Ebony & Ivory seats; Pano roof; Meridian audio, InControl Touch Pro; TFT Cluster.
Gone: 2010 XF 3.0D S PL Spectrum / Ivory. Park pack, DAB, Xenon lamps, Voice.
X-Type 2005 2.2D SE Est Metallic Black / Champagne.

2Many_Cats

Post by 2Many_Cats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Faltwen wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm
Aargh. My mistake, I thought the 48 was week number as in 48th week of the year.
Even if they are August, they aren't that old. I wonder if the low mileage hasn't helped. I got the car at 2 years old with only 7000 miles on it. I've done about 5500 since June.
According to Mr. Google, the DOT Code for manufacture date is a 4-digit number where the first 2 indicate the week number and the last two the year, so 4816 is week 48 of 2016.
XE R-Sport 2.5T 2017(67) Loire blue. Ebony & Ivory seats; Pano roof; Meridian audio, InControl Touch Pro; TFT Cluster.
Gone: 2010 XF 3.0D S PL Spectrum / Ivory. Park pack, DAB, Xenon lamps, Voice.
X-Type 2005 2.2D SE Est Metallic Black / Champagne.

Glovcol

Post by Glovcol » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Any recommendations for tyres that do not crack like the Dunlop’s?

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

What's annoying is that I've been driving for 40 years, I've always bought middle range tyres as I don't drive like I've stolen it! I tend to keep my cars for a while so have had tyres on for 4-5 years with no cracking.
I buy the XE with only 6000 miles on the clock fitted with a premium brand (Dunlop) and find that they are cracked!
I'll be fitting middle range tyres next, probably, Avon or Falken.
Jaguar XE Prestige 2.0l petrol in Bluefire

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am

Avon's were Bentleys tyre choice years back. I had them on a Rover 400 Hatchback and they were brilliant. I also fitted a set on my wife's 25 and again brilliant. Then I put a set on my 45 V6 and they were horrendous and wore very quickly. I have had two sets of Barum's on the 45 V6 and the Passat and they were great on both cars. I bought Barums because I raced on them back in the 60's and 80's. They are made under Continental's umbrella. I think modern tyres are made to fuel consumption requirements being priority rather than lasting ability.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am
Avon's were Bentleys tyre choice years back. I had them on a Rover 400 Hatchback and they were brilliant. I also fitted a set on my wife's 25 and again brilliant. Then I put a set on my 45 V6 and they were horrendous and wore very quickly. I have had two sets of Barum's on the 45 V6 and the Passat and they were great on both cars. I bought Barums because I raced on them back in the 60's and 80's. They are made under Continental's umbrella. I think modern tyres are made to fuel consumption requirements being priority rather than lasting ability.
Pretty much the same thing. Compromised on grip. Years back Michelin's were great for long miles, 2 -3 times other makes, and crepe for grip, especially in the wet. Tyre technology has moved on a touch or two since those days. Noise is another factor to consider, blocky treads are usually noisiest. I'm considering what to fit next to mine (currently Dunlops), but as yet haven't found a definitive answer, but at 12000 miles, I've got time.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”