Any budding electricians here?

The place to discuss everything else..
xep

Any budding electricians here?

Post by xep » Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Have a bedstead manufactured by a french company so getting any response from them is nigh on impossible!

Both of the built-in bedside lights have stopped working suddenly, and I can't figure out which part to replace first. I've not tried the bulbs, as it must be pretty rare for both bulbs to have blown at the same time.

I've tried reseating all the cables etc, but no joy.

The easiest way I can explain how it all connects:
- there are two bedside lamps, one on either side of the bed with their own switch
- each has a black cable that runs to a port (attachment #1)
- this port runs to an LED driver, of which I'm unable to hunt a replacement through googling the model (attachment #1)
- this is then powered by an EU extension cable (attachment #2)
- and again plugged in to a UK extension cable (attachment #3) which then runs to the mains
- the inside of the LED driver is attachment #4

This was all set up by the manufacturers who came and installed the bed and has been working fine for the past 3 years.

Any ideas?!

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light4.jpg

XE R Sport 240 MY16 | Bluefire / Jet Blue | Black / Privacy / Cold Climate / Parking pack

PhilB

Re: Any budding electricians here?

Post by PhilB » Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Seems a bit overdone to me.
Plenty of replacement transformers for Led lighting at screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-l ... y=12_240_v

If it is the transformer of course.
I'd be tempted to get rid of the french plug and wire the transformer with some cable and a uk plug and put it directly in your uk extension socket.
Not a qualified electrician but I did do the old Led downlights in the days when they were 12v DC and needed transformers.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm

It's more than likely that the LED driver has packed up. However unless you know what you are doing and are familiar working with mains electricity, I would advise extreme caution. It can easily kill you if you poke your finger in the wrong place!!

As you asked the question, I assume you are not familiar. However there are a few simple checks you can do. It could even be that you are not getting any voltage as far as the driver itself. Pop round to your local Toolstation and buy a continuity tester for £1.87 ( https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p78616 ... leshopping ) Remove the mains plug from the wall socket. Clip the wire end to the to the live pin of the plug (it's the left hand one looking at the plug with the cover on and all three pins facing you, cable entry at the bottom). Then connect the probe to the brown terminal on the input cable to the driver. If you have continuity you have then proved the live side is ok up to the driver. Do the same thing to prove the neutral is ok to the driver (Left hand pin of plug as above). If all ok you can then use the tester to go from the lamp sockets to the output terminals of the driver. Again if you have continuity, it will be either the bulbs or most probably the driver. Just buy one with a mains input and 12v output. Toolstation have them https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p13514.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 pm

It probably is the transformer. It's a 240 volt AC down to 12 volt DC 0.5 amp, so try replacing that in the first place. You can get one on line, but make sure it's a DC output and not AC as it won't work with LEDs.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Whatever you do don't buy a cheap one from ebay, I bought one as a stop gap to do other work, and it packed up, when I opened it up, it was border line dangerous as to how it was constructed
I bought one from local electrical wholesaler, about 16 quid, and it is fine.
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 pm

If the driver is made for the mainland Europe market then its voltage is lower than ours in the UK, so running on our mains could be overloading the unit As we tend to run at about 8-10 volts more.

Info below copied and pasted from a site i cannot remember, found it when i had problems with a Phillips TV, a Dutch model.

"The voltage used throughout Europe (including the UK) has been harmonised since January 2003 at a nominal 230v 50 Hz (formerly 240V in UK, 220V in the rest of Europe) but this does not mean there has been a real change in the supply.

Instead, the new “harmonised voltage limits” in most of Europe (the former 220V nominal countries) are now:

230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

In the UK (former 240V nominal) they are:

230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V)

This effectively means there is no real change of supply voltage, only a change in the “label”, with no incentive for electricity supply companies to actually change the supply voltage.

To cope with both sets of limits all modern equipment will therefore be able to accept 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V."
Bob Mc.
Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, and a selection of addons. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3470

xep

Post by xep » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks, all. Will be picking up a new transformer from screwfix on the way home and give that a go.

Am also going to have a crack at changing the 2-pin plug to a UK 3-pin to avoid the unnecessary extension leads.
XE R Sport 240 MY16 | Bluefire / Jet Blue | Black / Privacy / Cold Climate / Parking pack

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”