Speeding

The place to discuss everything else..
Thorn

Re: Speeding

Post by Thorn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am

Fozzie1960 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:40 am
The Mayor of London is planning a 20mph speed limit for large swathes of London, although in central London it will probably speed things up. His rationale is it will save lives and reduce injuries.
That’s already happened in Leeds. 20mph limits started out around schools but are now spreading into residential side streets.
RoSPA frequently cites reports that drivers can stop in a shorter distance, and that if they don’t stop, an impact at 20mph causes less damage or injury than one at 30. But, as with everything, a balance needs to be struck.
That said, I find my XE’s gearing is such that it’s easy to drive within the various limits. Far better than my V50, which always seemed happier at 5mph above whatever limit I was in. And once I move into the next limit up, I have the pleasure of the growl.

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 am

Some of the roads we may be thinking of in recent times may have involved children ‘armed’ with footballs , or just plain enjoying their Summers outdoors . Am I mistaken in believing, if one of these innocent people is hit by a car at 30 mph or UNDER , their chances of survival is reasonable....OVER , and they are DEAD ? Obviously, the consensus appears to be to drive all children indoors to play for their Summer holidays, so people can get on and speed in 30 mph zones ! Not me.
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:01 pm

There is horrendous dash cam footage on the BBC News website of a child on a pushbike crossing the A38. Fortunately the driver involved was under the speed limit for the road, but it’s a miracle this particular cyclist was not killed. It’s not just about speed, it’s about the utterly stupid things other people do. I hope they will be able to trace this child and maybe show him the error of his ways - maybe showing him the footage might scare some sense into him. I’m really glad it wasn’t me driving that car.

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm

BevC

I suspect that needing a change of underwear after the event would be lesson enough !

Richard
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

pem

Post by pem » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I was walking along a local 30mph road near my house in Coventry yesterday.

A 12/13 years old kid on a bicycle decided to cross over the road whilst doing a wheelie directly in front of a car doing the speed limit hence the car driver was able to stop in time.

I said loud to my wife "nearly killed that twat on the bike" and the kid looked back and gave me the finger, pity the driver stopped as twats on bikes like that deserve all they get.
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

BevC

Post by BevC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Our County Council have now announced they are going to reduce the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on some of our rural roads. I’m not sure what difference that would have made to the cretin on his big donor cycle narrowly missing being hit by my Jag last week when he was on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend! It’s not the speed limit that’s at fault and I fail to see why sensible drivers have all their fun ruined by people who have more ambition than talent. Another area where the driving test is sadly lacking.

pem

Post by pem » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 am

The speedo on my XE reads 3 mph higher than the speed on my tomtom (which I have started to use again as the Jag sat nav is crap)

I think higher than actual speed readings are common on most cars these days
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”