Start stopping worrying about Stop/Start

All Jaguar XE related discussions
richmond

Start stopping worrying about Stop/Start

Post by richmond » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am

I really am fed up reading about member's efforts to overcome the shortcomings of the XE's Stop/Start system. I think we all need a complete change in the way we think about it. The joy of owning a Jaguar is about when it's moving not when it's standing still. The Stop/Start is only there so that Jaguar can claim to be concerned about the environment and make a miniscule difference to fuel economy. It's an unnecessary mechanism that's only there to annoy us, drain the battery, and wear out the starter motor. :o
If I'm waiting at the lights for ten or twenty seconds then I'm happy to let the engine idle producing tiny amounts of air pollution compared to when I'm moving. If I have to wait longer then I'm quite capable of deciding to turn the engine off if it's the sensible thing to do. I don't need an unreliable electrical mechanism to attempt to do it for me. Do as I do, forget about it except to deselect it on start-up, if I remember. :)
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

ColinR

Re: Start stopping worrying about Stop/Start

Post by ColinR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am

I agree, the process for firing up an XE should be.

1) Admire the cat as you approach.
2) Pat the bonnet and apply a broad smile to your face
3) Get in and press that pulsing start button
4) Turn off Stop/Start
5) Press the Dynamic Button
6) Optionally spin the mode button from Drive to Sport

Drive off and listen to that growl.

Replace that broad smile with a Grin as you set off down the road past all those boring tin boxes.

:D :D 8-)

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am

I am in total agreement with you, XEs have been putting a smile on my face for 3yrs.

I find fuel consumption is best in Dynamic Mode with S/S turned off.
Last edited by Martyn UK on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portfolio 200 Ingenium Petrol, 18 MY,Loire Blue ,Light Oyster, Split rear seats, spare wheel,14way front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, Power fold heated mirrors , ICT Pro Meridian, Blind spot monitor.

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

Fully agree....got my XE in January and put up with the annoying SS for about a day before I found the off switch. Now I follow the ColinR advice above on the car.The only time I think about it is as I drive out of the garage and press the off switch. Works fine for me......

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am

There's a solution, drive like me a 100 miles a day on motorways, battery fully charged Stop Start has never failed. Or for Jaguar to fit a more heavy duty battery that doesn't dissipate power at such a rapid loss if the car isn't given a good run, and interrupts the SS function
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:49 am

This saga will still continue in this thread for this annoying feature. I agree with you Richmond it has become annoying now and at the time I thought my thoughts and others would find a solution. I have now got to the point of if it works fine and if it doesn't fine. It's the only feature in the car that seems to be airy fairy and should be ignored. I keep chipping in with my two pennorth but maybe it's time to just lock the thread up. At present it's working and that will stop when the weather changes to cooler. So just enjoy the car and forget stop start technology.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm happy for you guys that don't care about something that is specified as part of the car. I'm even happier for those of you lucky enough to have it working. For me, my car is getting closer and closer to when my warranty will expire and I want to ensure JLR fix every little thing that isn't working as specified while I can still hold them responsible. The savage depreciation I've suffered on my Ford-based '15 25T is tough enough to bear without knowing that my resale value will be even lower if it isn't all working as intended.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm

That was my thinking too. If it's there it should work but now I just accept it as an anomoly of the car.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, that didn't last long.
A brief flurry from the "I don't care if it works or not " or "I turn the annoying thing off anyway" section of the membership .
Before the "if it's fitted it must work" section jump on them.

:lol: :lol:
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 pm

HaloJones wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm
I'm happy for you guys that don't care about something that is specified as part of the car. I'm even happier for those of you lucky enough to have it working. For me, my car is getting closer and closer to when my warranty will expire and I want to ensure JLR fix every little thing that isn't working as specified while I can still hold them responsible. The savage depreciation I've suffered on my Ford-based '15 25T is tough enough to bear without knowing that my resale value will be even lower if it isn't all working as intended.

Who's going to know if it works or not?

If you trade it in no garage is going to check if it works and if you sell it privately, unless the purchaser is a real car techno geek who checks absolutely everything works including the ABS, DSC, AEB etc, they aren't going to notice it not working either.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”