Anyone got a 200ps (petrol) Rsport I have a question

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Macky

Anyone got a 200ps (petrol) Rsport I have a question

Post by Macky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

I got mine on approved 2 weeks ago and totally love it but I did notice during test drive a hissing noise which they assured would be fixed when I collected the car, it wasn't. So I had it booked in today and after collecting the car they told me it was a normal noise for the 200PS, they did say that they would get another 200ps in next week to compare noise with but I was wondering if any of you guys have one.

The noise can only be described as like hissing escaping gas, my partner says it is more like a high pitched whistling noise, it's from the engine but clearly audible when driving, it's quite annoying as it's loud enough for rear passengers to hear. It's not on the 240ps as I also test drove one of them but they have a different engine.

I hope it's a fault as I don't really want to hear that for the next three years ;)

lexie

Re: Anyone got a 200ps (petrol) Rsport I have a question

Post by lexie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 pm

I have a late 2015 200ps R Sport. (This has the Ford sourced engine as does the 240ps. The later 2017 200ps and 250ps have the Jaguar developed ingenium engines which are different).

No hissing from mine. You can just about hear the turbo whistle sometimes with the windows down, but it's not very obvious. I also had a 240ps loan car when mine went in for service. There was no difference in the engine sound at all between the two.

Some early cars suffered from an 'owl' noise. Dealers were issued with a fix bulletin for this, which I think was to install some rubber grommets to stop the oil cooler resonating.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

capese21

Post by capese21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 pm

I have a 200ps petrol R Sport 16 reg Ford engine. No hissing noises. Sounds great with a lovely burble which is less noticable now that I have sound treated the underside of the parcel shelf. Is the hissing louder at speed or high revs? Constant?

What engine do you have? Ingenium or Ford?

Macky

Post by Macky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks for the reply's, mine is a 2016 model so i guess it's the Ford engine and the noise is very noticeable, looks like it's a fault, I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks

capese21

Post by capese21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:18 pm

probably a split in a pipe i doubt it will be much. Let us know what they find.

Good Luck.

Ed.

aguycalleddb

Post by aguycalleddb » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm

My 240 has a slight hisss sound, going in for service in a couple of weeks
Dan

2016 XE 25t R-Sport
Amanite Grey|19" Black Venoms|Black Pack|Black Mirror Caps|Folding Mirrors|ITC Pro|Parking Pack|Cold Climate Pack

jaggy22

Post by jaggy22 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Hey I'm quite sure that it is the "Ticking noise into passenger compartment from high pressure fuel system" fix. I sent my car in 3 times to get it sorted for a "hissing" noise (that's how it sounded like to me). Finally on the 3rd try the technician could hear it too and it was in for a week. They changed the idler pulley but it still didn't go away and then they tried that Bulletin and alas its gone. JTB00483V4. It didn't sound like ticking noise at all but maybe it sounds different in different cars? Give it a go, hope this helps!

Macky

Post by Macky » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 pm

UPDATE

I spoke to the service manager who still maintains it's a "Characteristic" of my car, I told him my 80yr old mother was able to tell it was a fault as soon as she heard it, I find it absurd that a Jaguar service manager thinks having an annoying loud noise that never goes away on a £35k car is a "Characteristic of the car" They have booked the car in for a full week on 25th June. I also reminded the service manager that I highlighted this fault when I test drove the car and was assured by the salesman that it would be rectified when I collected the car, I saw him write it on the job sheet. The service manager said nothing was on the job sheet and they never even looked at it before the sale, it all sounds fishy to me.

I decided to get a second opinion so I drove to the nearest Jaguar dealer that had an identical model, they allowed me to start it up and have a listen, it was perfect. I then let them sit in mine and he immediately said that is a fault!

Now I have a predicament, I bought the car on May 21st and took delivery on May 25th so am still within my 30 days to just get a full refund, it's on approved warranty so they should fix it but am worried that this may go on and on and eventually remain unfixed or fall outside the warranty. The fault was identified by me when I test drove it but the garage seem to be disputing this, the salesman who sold me the car is abroad on holiday, am really getting stressed over this, hardly the welcome to Jaguar that I was expecting.

Any advice?

capese21

Post by capese21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:26 pm

If you have the option start the Rejection process. It will prompt them to take you seriously. The second dealer you went to would also fix it if asked. Aproved used I dont think ties you to the selling dealer.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm

You could rule out the earth strap fault by temporarily replacing it to see if it cures the noise? Dealers are very often not as clued up as owners who have a vested interest in their cars.

My previous BMW F10 5 series had a fault as they all do where the bulkhead drains block up causing the void to fill up with water.

If left it leaks into the interior & cause all sorts of problems.

Very well known on the forum but my dealer had no idea what i was on about.

I fixed it myself by drilling a large hole in the drain cover. Most 5 series owners have done similar.

If I had your car i would rule out the earth strap known issue myself or insist the dealer does so.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Ed

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”