Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Ian d

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Post by Ian d » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am

Look what I found today in an F-Pace SVR at Goodwood.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay!!!

10307DB5-F7D6-4133-8935-36269C90E304.jpeg

It’s coming very soon, for Pro only.

9DB50CDD-8A8B-419D-90B9-4AB8B7EE39A8.jpeg

2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY, Loire blue, ICTP, 380w Meridian, 350mm brakes, climate pack, parking pack, sports pedals, keyless, power-fold mirrors, 10 way seats, 4 way lumbar, extra sockets. Black/Oyster interior.

ColinR

Re: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Post by ColinR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 am

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:56 pm

I’d never heard of either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto before I joined this forum. As I’ve an IPhone I watched the YouTube Apple CarPlay demo. I can’t see that it does anything that the Pro doesn’t, so what's the benefit of it?.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I had Apple CarPlay in my previous car and I absolutely loved it. It was a very frictionless way to performing the two main tasks in a car; playing music and giving directions. Apple Maps in the UK aren't as good as Google Maps, but they were making progress. Both are years ahead of the mapping in my InControl Touch. I'm quite disappointed in the lack of reasonably priced updates and the inaccuracy of traffic conditions (jams and roadworks). Apple Maps was very proactive in suggesting an alternative and quicker route when necessary due to changing conditions on longer journeys. I never had any issue with music either, artwork was always correct and I could ask via voice command to play albums, playlists, a particular song, basically anything I wanted. Receiving text messages and being able to dictate a short reply was a handy, but gimmicky feature.

The main criticism against CarPlay was Apple's insistence that you use Apple Maps, but thankfully they've announced that iOS 12 (released in Autumn 18) will finally allow third-party mapping solutions. It just takes Google to create a CarPlay version of either Google Maps or Waze which they also own.

I'd say the feature I miss the most from CarPlay is navigating to somewhere in contacts. Unless I've missed it, I can't believe that ICT can't interrogate the Bluetooth Contacts listing and pull out an address to navigate to. I might be unfairly criticising Jaguar over something that isn't exposed by the Bluetooth contacts protocol or something that Apple (probably correctly) blocks for privacy reasons. Having to manually type a contact's address in to the Sat Nav is so last decade.
XE Portfolio in Italian Racing Red; 2.0 Diesel (180PS)

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Has anyone managed to find out more information on this possibility?

I ask due to seeing another post regarding ICTP software version 4... With the interface looking different to whats seen in the OP.
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

kryzchek

Post by kryzchek » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:16 am

According to this thread on Reddit, it will be available for retrofit in 2016+ vehicles with InControl Touch Pro:
2017 XE 35T Prestige in Ammonite Grey

tbaus

Post by tbaus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:11 am

Morning from Australia... this news is very exciting.... but has anyone had confirmation from Jaguar regarding these upgrades? More specifically from Jaguar Australia?

Thanks

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am

Oh this will be fun if it works with little to no issues... But that's wishful thinking hey?!

Am looking forward to this though, giving use owners a choice of what we can use... Whether Jaguar InControl Apps, Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

Robert271

Post by Robert271 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 am

All lovely and nice for the pro audio systems owners but what about the “poorer” non pro bog standard owners when are we going to see a software upgrade ( hint to jaguar it would do wonders for advertising and associated sales)?

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm

He he, that's the benefit of paying the extra for the Pro!
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”