Child Locks

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
duchess

Child Locks

Post by duchess » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 am

Hello everybody, just my second post on the forum, as very pleased with my XE 240 R Sport, which is coming up to three years old. My question concerns the child lock on the nearside only. Maybe I'm not doing something right but find it to be a frustrating problem. Once every two weeks, I pick up some friends to go out for a meal. It seems more often than not (the problem is not consistent), that the person sitting on the nearside in the back, cannot get out. It isn't a problem for the offside passenger. I have read the manual and it says if somebody tries to open the door before stopping then the door stays locked. So, after setting off, the auto locking comes on. I then press unlock and the light disappears. But to no avail, the passenger on the nearside invariably cannot open the door when stopped. I think this is some kind of software problem, but any thoughts would be much appreciated. I shall question at my next service. Also, one of my friends has posed the question, that if I don't unlock when in the car, what happens in an accident, can everybody get out ?

NewLester de Rocin

Re: Child Locks

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

;) I never heard anything about the feature that prevents the doors from being opened when the XE is in motion. Very nice feature to have---I just don’t know if we have it in this car.

No matter what, it’s always good to do a test on the car yourself, before taking it to a shop (...and AFTER picking it up from the shop too, :shock: )

Roll all your windows down, put the car in park, leave the engine running, and step out the car. Now, stand outside with the doors all closed, and reach through the open windows to do the tests.

1. Reach and press the “locked” switch on the inside of your driver’s door. Make sure it lights up.
2. Pull the inside handle of one rear door, to see if the door opens from the inside.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 for every door (keep re-locking it using your Driver's door lock button, then try the next door). Every door should behave the same way.

THEN, press the Child Lock (Jaguar calls it the Rear Doors Isolator Switch), and go through steps 1 and 2 again
Then, turn the Child Lock OFF, and try steps 1 and 2 all over again.

(Also, keep in mind, they call it an Isolator because it disables the rear windows too... so feel free to do this test for both rear windows too)

No matter what results you get, the doors on BOTH sides of the car should behave the same way. PhilB and the gang can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there is any software or electrical program directing the left side of the car to operate differently than the right, when it comes to doors and windows.

Any response difference AT ALL between the operation on left doors compared with right doors… MEANS a problem. Then it’s time for a dealership to track what fault is causing it and where.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm

duchess wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 am
Hello everybody, just my second post on the forum, as very pleased with my XE 240 R Sport, which is coming up to three years old. My question concerns the child lock on the nearside only. Maybe I'm not doing something right but find it to be a frustrating problem. Once every two weeks, I pick up some friends to go out for a meal. It seems more often than not (the problem is not consistent), that the person sitting on the nearside in the back, cannot get out. It isn't a problem for the offside passenger. I have read the manual and it says if somebody tries to open the door before stopping then the door stays locked. So, after setting off, the auto locking comes on. I then press unlock and the light disappears. But to no avail, the passenger on the nearside invariably cannot open the door when stopped. I think this is some kind of software problem, but any thoughts would be much appreciated. I shall question at my next service. Also, one of my friends has posed the question, that if I don't unlock when in the car, what happens in an accident, can everybody get out ?
You can enable or disable the auto lock after moving off on the menu as you know.
I haven't heard of this before especially as it's only the nearside door that won't open so it could be a fault.
If you activate the big button to put the child locks on the rear then it locks both doors and illuminates and you get a light on the dash so it can't be that.
As regards getting out after an accident then as far as I know the auto lock stops people getting in but opening an internal door handle still opens the door.
Plus I would think in the event of an accident if everybody in the car is unconscious etc there will be a sensor that will pop the locks off after an impact to allow rescue.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Going back 20 years or so, most cars automatically unlock all doors when the airbags or pre-tensioners are deployed.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:49 pm

There's a small lock on the door near the locking mechanism that you can turn with your door key or a screwdriver. Not s great photo, looks like a usb port on this.

DSC_0156.JPG

XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I have a question, following on this information, and on the author’s thoughts:

When any INSIDE door handle is pulled to open a door, is it still a MECHANICAL activation that pops the door-latch after all these years. Or does the process involve an electrical or magnetic actuator to move the latch these days (and the handle is just mechanically “sending a command”)? :|
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am

NewLester de Rocin wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm
I have a question, following on this information, and on the author’s thoughts:

When any INSIDE door handle is pulled to open a door, is it still a MECHANICAL activation that pops the door-latch after all these years. Or does the process involve an electrical or magnetic actuator to move the latch these days (and the handle is just mechanically “sending a command”)? :|
I had a look this morning and from what I saw and heard, it's purely mechanical when the car is unlocked.
The locking system is obviously electro-mechanical but I think we have just normal door latches etc.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”