My AdBlue story

All Jaguar XE related discussions
clarkejp32

My AdBlue story

Post by clarkejp32 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi All,

So, take a seat.....

I bought my Jag XE 2 weeks ago. Knew very little about the AdBlue at the time, but knew enough about to know it needs it and that's what filters the Diesel, reduces emissions and lowers the yearly tax bill.

Earlier this week, i set off on my usual 600 mile weekly round trip. 50 miles in to my journey i go a warning message saying "incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected". Naturally i came straight to these forums and quickly identified that it's because of the AdBlue level being low. However.... i bought a 3.5 litre tub of AdBlue and put this in my car, only for it jump back out of the top after about 3.25 litres - therefore meaning it wasn't that low at all. As i read quite a few comments saying there is sometimes a delay in the warning going off, i proceeded with my journey. A further 250 miles in when i reach Canterbury, the warning was still apparent. I phone 2 Jag dealers, none of whom could help until the following week - no use to me i was travelling back home yesterday evening.

I called my breakdown service - Green Flag, who sent a company who had A) never worked on, or even seen a Jag XE in person and B) had a more basic ODBll reader than me, so he couldn't help! I had to bite the bullet and call Jaguar Assistance, which was a lovely £180 call out fee. While talking to Green Flag guy, the warning actually changed and said there was a dosing malfunction! Jag actually couldn't get to me until this morning, which was okay, as i still had 250 miles left before 0 engine restarts, so as long as i switched off my stop/start i was fine.

Now, the interesting part.... when it reach 163 miles remaining while travelling through Central London (don't ask....) the warning went off.

The reason i'm posting this is because i think i know what actually caused the problem and wanted to sound it out here to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. I went to a Shell Garage and the only diesel they had was 'Fuelsave', which i'd used the week before to top up, then used Tesco Diesel afterwards just before my journey on Monday. This meant that the FuelSave was entering the system as i was on my way down. When i reached Canterbury, i put the BP expensive stuff in, which might be coincidental, but is roughly when i would have been going through London when the warning went off.

I don't believe it to be an AdBlue issue as it only took 3.5 litres to fill. Has anyone else had similar issues, or might be able to link this warning to poor quality diesel? I've searched these forums and couldn't find anything similar, which is i've created a new post.

Indianajons

Re: My AdBlue story

Post by Indianajons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Nothing to do with AdBlue level or diesel quality... most probably software or sensor fault
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

clarkejp32

Post by clarkejp32 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Okay interesting, thanks. I guess i need to get this booked in to get it checked over by Jaguar then?

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi, I had a very similar issue, posted on another topic. Basically suddenly got the invalid DEF quality warning when the AdBlue tank was still pretty full. The DEF range then started a countdown from 500m miles.
Called out Jag assist and they downloaded a software update which fixed the issue.
The next day I had the EML come on (fault code p16a4.00), which was fixed by a DEF prime and pressure test and computer reset. Basically it had an airlock in the DEF feed pipe.
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

clarkejp32

Post by clarkejp32 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Oh okay thanks - seems there's no simple way on this - i guess it just needs to go to Jaguar for a bit of TLC :)

appleybridger

Post by appleybridger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Whats alarming me is the Jaguar Assistance fee of £180.

Thought it was free.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Yeh, it was for me, I got the car with around 28 months manufacturers warranty left which included the jag assist. I assumed that it wasn’t an add on and was just part of the initial 3 yr warranty.
XE R-Sport 2.0D 180 Auto. MY17 Santorini Black.

appleybridger

Post by appleybridger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 pm

From jaguar website

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

You can rely on our roadside assistance, whatever the situation, wherever you happen to be in the UK and Continental Europe. All we ask is that your car is under warranty. The number to call is 0800 246 844.

Rgc

Post by Rgc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm

There is a recall on some models, mine is one. MY17 180d RWD specifically for the DEF warnings. Your Jaguar dealer should be able to tell you if it applies. They did it for me no problem. All good since.
XE 180D RWD Auto Portfolio in Dark Sapphire Blue Light Oyster Interior, Gloss Figured Ebony
(14 waySeatsMem&PwrFold, ColdClimPack, PwrPack, ICTPro, AdvParkAssPack, 40/20/40 HeatRearSeat, LKA, BSMonitor, PremMoodLight, PanRoof)
- Essex 20/12/2016

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”