Increased year 2 to 5 roadtax on 40k plus cars

All Jaguar XE related discussions
chrisjp

Increased year 2 to 5 roadtax on 40k plus cars

Post by chrisjp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 pm

I've recently bought a new XE with an undiscounted on-the road list price including all options, delivery charges, registration fee and VAT, of just under the UKP40k threshold for increased year 2 to 5 roadtax. If the first year's roadtax of UKP515 is added then the on the road price rises to just over UKP40k.
The DVLA has now assessed this car as being liable for the increased year 2 to 5 roadtax, even though I thought they did not count the UKP515 first year roadtax in their assessment. Communication with DVLA has got me against a bit of a brick wall with them just saying they get the on-the-road price "from the manufacturer, importer or distributor" (but not apparently the selling dealership). They won't provide me with the figures they are using but insist I am liable for the increased roadtax.
Has anyone else encountered this problem - and is there any way to get the DVLA to budge? At over UKP300 extra roadtax for each of 4 years the issue is not inconsequential.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE Prestige 250 PS MY19. Fuji white with cream leather, privacy glass, xenon lights, heated steering wheel, memory pack, parking pack, Pro navigation 380w, configurable dynamics, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat.

morini

Re: Increased year 2 to 5 roadtax on 40k plus cars

Post by morini » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 pm

chrisjp wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 pm
I've recently bought a new XE with an undiscounted on-the road list price including all options, delivery charges, registration fee and VAT, of just under the UKP40k threshold for increased year 2 to 5 roadtax. If the first year's roadtax of UKP515 is added then the on the road price rises to just over UKP40k.
The DVLA has now assessed this car as being liable for the increased year 2 to 5 roadtax, even though I thought they did not count the UKP515 first year roadtax in their assessment. Communication with DVLA has got me against a bit of a brick wall with them just saying they get the on-the-road price "from the manufacturer, importer or distributor" (but not apparently the selling dealership). They won't provide me with the figures they are using but insist I am liable for the increased roadtax.
Has anyone else encountered this problem - and is there any way to get the DVLA to budge? At over UKP300 extra roadtax for each of 4 years the issue is not inconsequential.
Hi Chris,

I've just been been through a similar frustration with my recent car purchase. I was initially looking at dealer demonstrator second hand cars but was put off by the £40k list price road tax barrier. The cars I was interested in were all very well specified (I guess dealer demos usually are) and had list prices over the £40k threshold. I decided against going down that route and went for a new factory order XE instead. I was careful to keep under £40k and had to drop quite a few options I would have ticked if it were not for this annoying threshold. Mine actually came out under £40k even after all the OTR costs were added on but I read somewhere the threshold is supposed to be based on list price minus OTR costs. The gov.uk website does not seem to mention OTR costs, so I can't really back that up (can't remember where I read it). What does your supplying dealer say about it.

As well as being a right pain I think ths situation will make selling on cars wih an original list price of just over 40k more difficult.
Awaiting delivery: Jaguar XE 250 R-Sport - Fuji white, Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian™ Sound System (380W), Parking Pack, Adaptive Dynamics

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 am

My supplying dealer (Harwoods of Crawley) has told me that the o-t-r price of the car used by DVLA is "nothing to do with them" and is entirely a DVLA matter. Nevertheless, they supplied me with a full o-t-r quote for the car (again) which came in below UKP40k. I sent this to DVLA but they just say they obtain the o-t-r price "from the manufacturer, importer or distributor". They won't tell me what this price is for my car or how they got it, but nevertheless claim it is above the 40k threshold. Like you I was careful with the options I chose to keep below the 40k, but with the secret way the DVLA operates it seems we have no control of how the o-t-r price is calculated. I have not yet explored any appeal mechanism that we can turn to with DVLA. Does anyone know of one?
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE Prestige 250 PS MY19. Fuji white with cream leather, privacy glass, xenon lights, heated steering wheel, memory pack, parking pack, Pro navigation 380w, configurable dynamics, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 am

If the DVLA won't give you the figures, perhaps you should contact Jaguar directly and ask them what figures the DVLA are basing this on because surely, the figures your dealer are providing should be from Jaguar anyway.

I wonder why the DVLA won't give you a copy of their figures for your car anyway, bl***y faceless bureaucrats!
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 am

chrisjp wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 am
I have not yet explored any appeal mechanism that we can turn to with DVLA. Does anyone know of one?
As with govt depts the process is a bit lengthy and has to be done in stages.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

morini

Post by morini » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am

I found the article where I read about how "list price" is defined. I'm not sure if posting of links is allowed (it's an article on what car), and I'm new on here so I won't risk it. Anyway, it says :-

"The law defines the price as the car’s list price, so any discount you are able to negotiate won’t affect the car’s VED band. The list price is the price of the car before the ‘on-the-road’ charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel.

Beware, too, that if you buy a car that has a list price of less than £40k, but add some options that take the price over the threshold, you’ll be liable for the higher rate of tax. In short, an option for a few hundred pounds could end up costing you more than £1500 over five years in extra VED costs."
Awaiting delivery: Jaguar XE 250 R-Sport - Fuji white, Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian™ Sound System (380W), Parking Pack, Adaptive Dynamics

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am

I really sympathise with you. I bought my car that was listed at £42000 in 2015. I pay £30 road tax. So why don't all cars have one set fee as before, say £150 / annum or put 10p on fuel so those that use the roads pay more. I just hate giving the government more money for nothing as I see no improvement in the roads system. I am quite happy to pay if I feel it is fair and put to use properly. Another annoyance is the BBC tax or TV licence to pay for 80% repeats and fat salaries for duds. :)
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

chrisjp

Increased year 2 to 5 roadtax on 40k plus cars UPDATE

Post by chrisjp » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 pm

DVLA has now got back to me. They still won't give me the o-t-r price that they used in assessing my roadtax amount but have told me that, if I want to pursue this matter, I'll need to get the "correct" o-t-r price from the vehicle manufacturer. I've contacted Jaguar Customer Relations today to ask for this - I hope they'll cooperate. BTW my XE comes in just below UKP40k even if I add in the delivery charge, dealer preparation costs and first registration fee (but not the UKP515 first year's roadtax). So how DVLA got it to be above UKP40k I do not understand.

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm

There is such a thing as a Freedom of Information request. I guess the DVLA would have a bit of a problem claiming exemption on the grounds of State security... I bet Vladimir Putin could tell you.

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this issue. If Jaguar Customer Services don't provide a quick answer, I would short circuit the whole thing and email Ralf Speth (JLR CEO) directly, and ask him to sort it for you. If I was him, I would want to know there was a break down in this process as its probably affecting other customers.

ralf.speth@jaguarlandrover.com

ianbruce is right though - a FoI request to the DVLA will provide you with the figure they've used.
XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan, Privacy Glass, Parking pack, Powertrain badge delete and Radiator Grille with Gloss Black insert

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”