Sunglasses Holder

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
RG58

Sunglasses Holder

Post by RG58 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 pm

I picked up my first XE (2015 2.0D Portfolio) last week after owning an X Type for over 11 years. My first impression is WOW! What a car.

One very minor issue. Went to use the overhead sunglasses holder this morning and although it will mainly stay shut with nothing in there, even the weight of a pair of glasses means it keeps dropping down. For the life of me, I can’t see what is meant to hold it closed. Is there a catch on the side or something else that might be a quick fix – other than the rolled up piece of card currently jammed in to keep it shut!

Any sensible advice gratefully received.

Indianajons

Re: Sunglasses Holder

Post by Indianajons » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Gave up trying to use mine after a couple of attempts as my sunglasses just wouldn’t allow it to close no matter what way round I tried putting them in. Now keep them in the cup holders instead.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

KevinInSuffolkUK

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I think these are quite sensitive to where you press to close them (centre point)
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 am

There were issues with some of the earlier cars and there is a technical bulletin for a fix:
JTB00461v5 - Sunglasses Holder Inoperative.

Quite a few had replacements done.
I presume that yours is an approved used and you have the 2 year warranty?
Quote the above bulletin to the dealer and it should be fixed for you.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

RG58

Post by RG58 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 am

Unfortunately it was not purchased from a dealer and is a week out of the Jaguar 3-year warranty. Was this technical bulletin a fix I could carry out or a complete replacement?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 am

RG58 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 am
Unfortunately it was not purchased from a dealer and is a week out of the Jaguar 3-year warranty. Was this technical bulletin a fix I could carry out or a complete replacement?
I seem to recall it was a replacement so maybe go and see a Jag dealer and see what the technical bulletin says.
I'm sure they will advise even if the car is out of warranty.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 am

Indianajons wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 pm
Gave up trying to use mine after a couple of attempts as my sunglasses just wouldn’t allow it to close no matter what way round I tried putting them in. Now keep them in the cup holders instead.
Same😎
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Time WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 am

If the above console is no use what about this from fleabay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... acat=82099
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

robertW

Post by robertW » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 am

Mine jammed shut - the sunglasses arm was jammed against the housing wall. I got them out OK and the flap works OK although operates slower.

I jemmied the plastic the surround wider by about 3mm with a screwdriver, at the offside side only, so that the hinge pin on the flap was freed from its housing and the flap dropped open on one side by 50mm - I kept the other side hinge engaged, in case it was a complicated arrangement that may be difficult to reassemble.

Removed the sunglasses but noticed a coil spring hanging from the disengaged housing.

Jemmied the flap back into place, making sure the hinge pin passed through the spring coil before engaging in its housing. But the coil spring had a tang which I couldn't make out where it should nest - and couldn't tension the spring anyway - and left it at that.

The flap worked OK after that but too about twice as long to drop open. Clearly the spring originally drove the flap open faster when the flap was unlatched.

There is a friction cog wheel arrangement on the nearside of the flap - this is visible when the flap is opened. It seems the cog ensures the flap opens without suddenly dropping open, and the spring (on the offside of the flap) provides a small force to ensure the friction restraint doesn’t make opening too slow.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 am

Cars still in warranty can have a new one under the warranty. I had mine done.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”