cleaning 20" Propeller style wheels

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Pongo

cleaning 20" Propeller style wheels

Post by Pongo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am

I have these on my car. They are lovely and are unmarked. The face of each wheel is diamond cut so a stainless steel sort of finish. Between the spokes is a grey matt finish a bit like a non stick frying pan.

Have owned many cars with beautiful alloys (I'm a bit of an alloy wheel freak - i could buy a car simly for having beautiful wheels and not do so where the wheel design doesn't do it for me !) but not with this finish. Any tips cleaning wise for keeping them nice ?

Thanks

IMG_20180827_115804.jpg

2016 XE-S 340

PhilB

Re: cleaning 20" Propeller style wheels

Post by PhilB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 pm

First thing is that the XE produces virtually no brake dust so keep those nasty caustic alloy wheel cleaners away.
You don't need to spend any money on dedicated wheel cleaning products.
I use the same shampoo I use for the body.
You can use a wash mitt kept for just the wheels a wheel wooly or a small sponge (we aren't worried about feint swirls here).
Then rinse off as normal and dry with a microfibre.
If you want to treat them then the Poorboys wheel sealant is great.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

BRC

Post by BRC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 pm

I can highly recommend this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263916987693?chn=ps
Cleans like nothing else I have used and importantly it is a biodegradable surfactant that will not harm the alloy or its finish.
All "Bilt Hamber" solutions do precisely what they claim they will and provide products you can completely trust.
Whiffs a bit in use but essentially spray it on leave for five minutes or so and then hose off. Perhaps a little pricey but trust me, a little goes a long way.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks both

I had noticed that there was very little brake dust. How strange !

I'll go with the simple wash thing for now and see how it goes. I may use some kind of sealant at some point but with so little brake dust it may not be necessary given that the wheels get washed pretty much every week.

I do see mention on here about lacquer peeling / bubbling but assume that is down to stone chips letting in water (or whatever) rather than some significant manufacturing quality issues.
2016 XE-S 340

morini

Post by morini » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 am

Two products I always use on my wheels

1. Gtechniq C5

Always use this when I buy a new car. Wheels off to do it properly. Lasts for ages and makes cleaning wheels a pleasure (need nothing more than normal car shampoo)

2. FinishKare FK1000p

Once the C5 starts to become less effective its either wheels off and do it again or use this every third wash or so. Same kind of effect but not as long lasting.

I will be treating my Jaguars wheels to a "wheels off" C5 treatment as soon as I get it.
Awaiting delivery: Jaguar XE 250 R-Sport - Fuji white, Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian™ Sound System (380W), Parking Pack, Adaptive Dynamics

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm

I've got the same alloys and I use (sparingly) Autoglym Custom Wheel cleaner.
It goes brown where it comes into contact with iron and it works on the rubber side walls too. It's mild/biodegradable and can be used on all wheel types
I then use a barrier wax and a normal wash with car shampoo does the trick after that.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Asked my local tyre supplier Brackley Tyre Warehouse (Sean) why everyone but Jaguar fits cross-drilled discs . He said, have you ever seen them on a F1 car ? The reason not is they weaken the disc . Discs with channels cut into the surface are recommended for racing on sports cars he says, but not cross drilled. My 350mm optioned discs would probably be helpful up and down the Stelio pass half a dozen times quickly, but the Jaguar brakes are very efficient indeed...well, they did invent the car disc brake with Dunlop , and came very close to finishing second on the 1952 Mille Miglia (Moss/Dewis), when they only entered to test the disc brakes, having had no recce, notes, or any preparation whatsoever !
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”