Stop start after a new Battery

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
doctor austin

Stop start after a new Battery

Post by doctor austin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Just wondering peoples thoughts.... I have a XE petrol 2L having bought it secondhand with 17,000miles from a Jaguar mail dealer with Jaguar warrenty etc...so basically the stop/ stop has only ever worked sporadically especially after a 200 mile run it may then work for a day or so... anyways to cut a long story short I have just had Jaguar fit a new battery as they thought it may be the issue... driving home it still isnt working. My question is do you think I should drive it for several days to give the new battery a chance to be fully charged or have I still got an issue? ( I only want the S/S to work so I can turn it off!!!) Appreciate one thoughts.

Indianajons

Re: Stop start after a new Battery

Post by Indianajons » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Just be grateful you have a nice new battery that should last for as long as you keep the car & you don’t have to remember to keep switching s/s off all the time!
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

capese21

Post by capese21 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Don't assume a new battery is fully charged. A few hours connected to a Ctek will do it good. I have a petrol 200 and stop start always works.

richmond

Post by richmond » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 am

Each time you start the engine turn off the stop/start and forget about it. You'll be saving the battery, the engine starter, the alternator, and best of all your sanity. :D
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

capese21

Post by capese21 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 am

I agree!! Although it works I always turn it off. If it works I know the battery is fully charged though!! On my previous BMW I was able to code it so it was by default off.

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Just to say I had a new battery fitted and that instantly solved the s/s problem. However having done something like a month and a half of very short journeys I thought I would hook up an intelligent charger and that showed a battery that was quite a way down on charge. However the s/s was unaffected and worked perfectly even on that low state of charge.
Like most here I try and remember to turn it off but I was particularly keen to get it working on the basis when I sell the vehicle I want to ensure there's nothing that could "de-value" it and also with one eye on future MOT's when the dictate will suggest if s/s if fitted it must work. Perhaps I'm being over cautious but it wouldn't surprise me if that became mandatory in due course.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm

BRC wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Like most here I try and remember to turn it off but I was particularly keen to get it working on the basis when I sell the vehicle I want to ensure there's nothing that could "de-value" it and also with one eye on future MOT's when the dictate will suggest if s/s if fitted it must work. Perhaps I'm being over cautious but it wouldn't surprise me if that became mandatory in due course.
This is the reason i am getting my s/s looked at for the third time. I've had the car since the end of Feb and it's worked for only three weeks during that time and that's only after it's been looked at by the main dealer. I have a Ctec charger, which I have used several times and it makes no difference.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 am

That was pretty well much my experience given I too "smart charged" the original battery a couple of times. Interestingly some on here have suggested a larger capacity battery is also required but my replacement was an 80 amp/hr unit i.e. like for like and has worked just fine.
Got to say I am a big fan of smart chargers/maintainers given my BMW still has the original battery and is now 10 years old. I try and connect it when I know the car will be off the road or semi hibernating when the weather deteriorates. The last 6 years regime seems to have paid off!

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:20 am

My car was in yesterday for a few things including the stop start, I said is it because we only do short journeys, he said the battery doesn't have to be at 100% for it to work, when we picked it up they have done s software update which as been mentioned on this forum, seem ok now but to soon to tell.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Bazzamf wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm
BRC wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

This is the reason i am getting my s/s looked at for the third time. I've had the car since the end of Feb and it's worked for only three weeks during that time and that's only after it's been looked at by the main dealer. I have a Ctec charger, which I have used several times and it makes no difference.
I took my car in to the dealers yesterday for the s/s problem and the turbo actuator arm rattle. I received a call today to say that they had put the battery on charge over night and that the s/s had worked once, I thought oh no here we go again for the third time. :( The caller then went on to say that after the test drive they tested the battery and found it was not holding the charge, therefore a new battery was required and would be fitted tomorrow. I thought great, a result. :D
He then went on to tell me that the car did have an issue with the turbo actuator arm and that it would be replaced, but it had to be ordered and would be fitted as soon as it arrived at their workshop.
I couldn't believe my ears. Two items being dealt with at once. Hooray, lets celebrate. Where's my G&T? :D :D
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”