Stop-Start and Engine warning light issue.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Mikeyjd

Stop-Start and Engine warning light issue.

Post by Mikeyjd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Since I bought my year old XE Rsport a few weeks ago, the stop-start has frequently not worked. I have done mainly short journeys since I bought the car, so I'm not really surprised. The only time it kicked in was after a fairly long journey. I see this is a common problem and tbh I'm not really bothered. I was going to get it checked out when the car goes for a service.

Yesterday I drove about a mile and stopped at traffic lights. The stop-start kicked in and the engine stopped. I looked down at the dash and noticed the orange engine warning light had come on. I didn't t have far to go so I continued carefully and the stop-start worked a couple more times and the light stayed lit.

I got home and contacted Jaguar assist who told me to phone my local dealer (about 10 miles away). I explained the issue and after a few other questions they seemed happy for me to carry on driving the car and booked it in for a weeks time.

Today after a couple of stop-starts the system stopped working again. And the engine light has now extinguished. All a bit odd. The system works and the car shows a general fault, then the system stops working and the fault clears. Anybody explain this? I am still having it looked at next week but I am a bit curious as to this odd behaviour. My other thought is, the orange warning light could be caused by many different things, without knowing what the cause was, Jaguar seem happy for the car to be driven for over a week before it gets checked.
2018MY R Sport. 240bhp AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

PhilB

Re: Stop-Start and Engine warning light issue.

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 am

As the light has come on it should have stored a fault code within the car's memory.
The manual says it's an emissions fault but from my experience it can also cover other issues such as a fault with one of the many "modules".
:roll:
If the dealer has said it's ok to drive then fair enough and hopefully they can find what the issue is.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for your reassurance. It just seemed a hell of a coincidence.
2018MY R Sport. 240bhp AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

ridge

Post by ridge » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 pm

A orange amber warning should come with an error msg in your cluster display... I had orange warning light up with AEB not available in the instrument cluster display....
This has since cleared and come back twice but ok again.... this is automatic emergency braking fault.... apparently cameras in windscreen mist up or vision gets impaired .... not saying this is the same fault u have
Xe LANDMARK EDITION 250ps petrol...yulong white, black pack.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

ridge wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 pm
A orange amber warning should come with an error msg in your cluster display... I had orange warning light up with AEB not available in the instrument cluster display....
This has since cleared and come back twice but ok again.... this is automatic emergency braking fault.... apparently cameras in windscreen mist up or vision gets impaired .... not saying this is the same fault u have
In this case it's the engine management warning light (shaped like an engine which you can see on start up with the lamp check on the dash).
This one doesn't have text as it can be one or more of several systems.
It needs to be diagnosed via the port in the dash to see where the issue is.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”