This is not my week. A warning regarding RAINEX !!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Vespa

This is not my week. A warning regarding RAINEX !!

Post by Vespa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:11 pm

This maybe in the wrong place and maybe should be off topic. After the wheel/tyre aggro from Wednesday I had the misfortune to try out my wipers in the rain storms of this last few days. Last weekend I found a bottle of RAINEX in my cleaning kit and stupidly did all my widows inc the front screen. Many of you will remember the wiper judder problem some were having a while ago, well the RAINEX is the horrendous instigator of the judder. In that rain the damn judder was so bad the only way to make it subside was to keep applying the screenwash until I got home. So DON'T use this stuff on windscreens. The next problem was to fit the old set of reasonable blades after copious cleaning of the screen with Cif. That helped but it didn't work fully. To park the wipers in service mode to remove the wipers I had to refer to the hand book. Soon sorted after about 5 goes :oops:
Then I was exiting the car and forgot I had placed the remote fob on my left leg and ker clunk, it disappeared. I searched on the floor and under the seat. No sign !! Then the seat was adjusted to the nearest to the steering wheel and searched underneath . Still no sign. Then fully retracted. Still no sign. Eventually I could just about feel the end of the chrome leaper on the ring attached to it. What a fiddle to get that out of that space between seat rail and centre console. Just a word of warning make sure that you don't lose your fob between seat and centre console. The good thing about Rainex, is that it allows frost to be removed from glass easier. I should never have applied it to the front screen as mine is heated anyway. Thinking I was doing a good job only made work and it still isn't 100% judder free.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

bob_mcn

Re: This is not my week. A warning regarding RAINEX !!

Post by bob_mcn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Vespa,
Try cleaning it with Vinegar and a newspaper sheet, that's the old way of window cleaning, car or household, i used it when i had oil on my windscreen years ago, and it worked. Clean it afterwards with a real windscreen cleaner like Autoglym.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Blimey, you are having some fun this week Vespa!

You might want to run over the screen with a clay mit afterwards too - just to ensure you remove all the contaminants and cleaning products.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a silly hinged cupholder cover like on the F-Type - the one where you can watch your phone slide back into the small hinge gap and into the depths of the centre console!! :o
2.0 200 Bluefire R-Sport
Templar wheels, Meridian sound, Advanced parking, Climate pack + Heated rear, Aluminium Paddles - of course :)

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:39 pm

I know this sounds counter intuitive but also coat Rainex on to the windscreen wipers, you will find that cures the judder.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I have all my windows professionally treated once a year by my detailer and hardly ever have to use the wipers
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 pm

A great way to deep clean glass is using 0000 grade wire wool with soap as a looob
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:27 pm

A new set of blades will cure the judder. Mine were the same judder made worse even after cleaning the screen and applying RainX. New blades cured it.

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Any rain 'repellant' in my book does a sterling job in absorbing every atom of road grease onto the windscreen...Kerboom ! It actually works incredibly well if you don't meet a single item of traffic on your journey. Outer Scotland anybody ?
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 am

Well thank you all for your replies. I will try another clean today. I must say that flies seem harder to shift with the Rainex on than without as there were several that took some scrubbing to get off. Oh well!, Iwill have another go with a power sander!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 am

After the discussion about cleaning the interior of the rear window I bought one of the Stoner triangular cleaning tools.
But I also bought their "Invisible Glass" cleaner and I've found it the best glass cleaner ever.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss ... 25BQHCGFR1
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”