Looking at an XE..

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dan_Veluwe

Looking at an XE..

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi,

some may know me from the F-Type or Disco3 forum or DS forum [very briefly].

I did not buy an XE yet, but with the new year on the doorstep dealers are shedding the demo cars and some really good offers come by.

I know about the ingenium diesel problems from the DS forum, so I didn't buy a DS with 105.000km as it was out of guarantee.

The XE I am looking at is a MY2016 with 26k km and a 2 liter "e" engine and autobox.

The weight of the car is already a problem as it would cost € 170 pm [month] in roadtax, against € 40 for our MiTo.
But we need a 2nd car with room for 4 people and the MiTo is just not big enough. Now I get mixed up with the controls
as the MiTo has everything in a different place, hence the search for a suitable 2nd Jaguar...

Can I expect probems with the ingenium engine if I use it most of the time for short distances ?

Stephen

Re: Looking at an XE..

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi Dan_ Veluwe and welcome to the XE Forum :) .

If by 'problems' on short journeys your mean the oil dilution issue, then the answer is no. JLR acknowledge that oil dilution may be an issue on Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque vehicles powered by the 2-litre Ingenium diesel engine (as I understand, the probable cause being the loose coupled exhaust system), but it hasn't feautred as an issue on this Forum.

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, thats a new one to me ! I am more thinking of the general problem modern day diesels have : if not run on a proper high
temperature regularly, the DPF cloggs up and - worsed case - has to be replaced.

How often are there problems with the DPF clogging up?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 pm

As I understand, oil dilution occurs because with a loose coupled exhuast system the DPF may not reach its ideal operating temperature resulting in failure to complete a regnerationon cycle that may get underway during short journeys.

The XE has a close coupled exhaust system, enabling DPF regen cycles can be completed in less time than loose coupled systems. Like I said in my previous post, oil dilution has not featured as a problem on this Forum. Neither am I aware of any members who have had to replace the DPF filter due to clogging.

Of course, most Forum members are UK based, where you have motorways and where longer drives contribute to keep the DPF clean. I live on Malta where we only do short journeys, and I know clogged DPFs to be a problem on all modern diesels, so I only consider petrol.

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 pm
I live on Malta where we only do short journeys, and I know clogged DPFs to be a problem on all modern diesels, so I only consider petrol.
Thanks, an expert opnion on short drives ! :mrgreen:

PS. My daughter and her boyfriend love Malta, they go diving there. I prefer to stay above water, like most catlike creatures.. :lol:

Return to “Introductions”