Recovery and extended warranty such as AA, RAC etc

The place to discuss everything else..
Vespa

Recovery and extended warranty such as AA, RAC etc

Post by Vespa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:37 pm

At present I have the remainder of a bought warranty (year 4) from Jaguar. I am considering not taking the warranty out again and just paying out for my own recovery. I have had both RAC and AA in the past and the RAC dealt with a situation within 20 minutes whereas the AA took 6 hours. I have had Greenflag but did not need to use them. What are your opinions on these recovery policies and what have you found good and bad?. It may help me make up my mind.
Regarding warranty extra cover have any of you ever done one with an independant company away from the manufacturer?
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PaulC

Re: Recovery and extended warranty such as AA, RAC etc

Post by PaulC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 pm

I've never bothered with extended warranties and breakdown cover as I've only ever kept one car outside of warranty and it was an old banger destined for the scrap heap.

I know a lot of people who swear by the RAC and have no issues - yes they're a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for? Depending on how many vehicles you have, they do a "Family" plan which works out good value if you have multiple cars in your family (my partners parents have this and it covers their cars/vans as well as my partners cars and her brothers even though they live hundreds of miles away).

As a side note; Jaguar assist is the AA - so if you've made use of that, it may swing your decision?

On the non-manufacturer warranty, pay attention to the small print, as the car gets older they cover fewer and fewer items - usually the more expensive parts (typical).
Jaguar XE S [380PS] |[Garage space for a new toy] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Check your bank account first as a lot of packaged accounts include things like breakdown included.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

I used to have free green flag with my bank account but never needed it at the time. More recently I took out family RAC cover. Both my wife and myself used it on a number of occasions. One one occasion when her horse box broke down it ended up saving us a fortune. I look on break down cover same as car insurance. You hope you never need it, but it when required it is a godsend.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Yes, I agree. I have had several over the years with the RAC the best service the only time I needed it.

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 pm

I was considering extended warranty for my XE, MOT cover, and Jag assist useful maybe, but then fine details point out that software update's are not covered, confirmed by service dept yesterday, and he quoted that it would have been £150 for the software update to cure DEF incorrect quality message I had before xmas.
As I have AA with bank, I think I am liable to not go for this warranty
Vespa when you updated InControl did you get an email to ask if you wished to update, I am sure there was a thread about it, but cannot find it.
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi.
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 am

Repairman I got a renewal notice about one month before

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 am

Dan,

your policy mentions "The nearest Garage". I have two near me and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Can you clarify "The nearest Garage"

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 am
Repairman I got a renewal notice about one month before
Thanks Vespa
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”