Recovery and extended warranty such as AA, RAC etc

The place to discuss everything else..
Derek Mitchell

Re: Recovery and extended warranty such as AA, RAC etc

Post by Derek Mitchell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 pm

RE;- extended warranty/Jag recovery assist ect. My 3 year warranty expires April 2019. What to do?. My dealer has quoted £694 per annum to include recovery/roadside assist!. Seems a bit steep to me,anyhoo,I renewed my EX R Sport 240 petrol insurance today with L-V ABC, which offered recovery/roadside assist to my home in Rugby from anywhere in the U.K for £58.00p,so have decided to go with that and skip the Jag,extended warranty offer. So now I will just pay as I go like I have for the last 55 years of motoring and hope for the best!. Pleased to read that Jag. are going to offer a servicing deal for our XEs in March 2019,and about time too. Anyone have any thoughts/comments on the subject,as I am sure many owners are,or will be in the same situation. Happy safe motoring everybody,and happy new year. Derek Mitchell XE 240 petrol,ford engine,Bluefire paint and a few more goodies ect.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am

It's funny but I have also gone with pay as I go but for some reason with the XE I took out an extended warranty last May. I bet that the parts for other makes are just as expensive these days and I can no longer do my own servicing. I suppose that being one of the first XE's made makes me think "But what if ?" Daft, I know as all jobs done so far are the main Achilles heal jobs of earlier cars and never really caused any major problems. I see GEM do a good rescue deal so may go with them. How stupid is it that the AA doesn't do Jag assist as a seperate item from normal membership.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

simpler

Post by simpler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am

Derek Mitchell wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 pm
RE;- extended warranty/Jag recovery assist ect. My 3 year warranty expires April 2019. What to do?. My dealer has quoted £694 per annum to include recovery/roadside assist!. Seems a bit steep to me,anyhoo,I renewed my EX R Sport 240 petrol insurance today with L-V ABC, which offered recovery/roadside assist to my home in Rugby from anywhere in the U.K for £58.00p,so have decided to go with that and skip the Jag,extended warranty offer. So now I will just pay as I go like I have for the last 55 years of motoring and hope for the best!. Pleased to read that Jag. are going to offer a servicing deal for our XEs in March 2019,and about time too. Anyone have any thoughts/comments on the subject,as I am sure many owners are,or will be in the same situation. Happy safe motoring everybody,and happy new year. Derek Mitchell XE 240 petrol,ford engine,Bluefire paint and a few more goodies ect.
Hello from F-Type sister forum, been lurking on here as we look to replace the family car possibly with XE (or e-pace). Unsure whether your quote was from JLR or dealer but you can get an online quote for extended warranty from JLR here:
https://jaguar.motor-admin.com/warranty ... -details-1

Attached is the what the JLR extended warranty includes and excludes (note is does include £750 MOT voucher and 7 days hire car as well):
extended-warranty-ipid.pdf
(316.34 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
policy-document.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi Simpler, yes I had same docs, it was just with my experience so far, majority of fixes have been software updates
It will get very interesting when cars become more attached to the internet, and some of these updates will be security updates, so if you don't want to pay for them, you will run the risk of someone hacking your car
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

simpler

Post by simpler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Repairman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm
Hi Simpler, yes I had same docs, it was just with my experience so far, majority of fixes have been software updates
It will get very interesting when cars become more attached to the internet, and some of these updates will be security updates, so if you don't want to pay for them, you will run the risk of someone hacking your car
Guidelines and legalisation for car manufacturers with SOTA capabilities are already being discussed.
Jaguar have a small section on their website - https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/software-update.html - but it doesn't say a lot.

The guidelines being drawn up state that safety and security critical updates will have to be free regardless of warranty entitlement. Improvements made during warranty periods would also have to be free.

However, manufacturers will need to decide for themselves when and how to charge for new services and improvements outside of warranty, which may help to sharpen brand differentiation apparently! IE consider an iPhone, you only get the updated features for so long, so an old iPhone 7 for example may only run IOS version 10.x but you still get security updates so it will update from version 10.3 to 10.4 but version 11 is never available.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

I have revisted this after spending a few hours sifting through the reviews of all the breakdown companies. I also read BobMcN's post about RAC renewal. I had seriously cosidered GEM with such glowing 5Star reviews and Which, Auto Express bulling up. Their 5* reviews are nearly all about how easy it was to join and not about the breakdown service which their 1&2* reviews are in the main about losy service. The AA were honest enough in their reviews willing to highlight lousy and good service at the roadside. Furthur delving, I asked the online chat how much more expensive would the second year and subsequent years would be after the one year introductory offer ended. To my surprise I was told around 40% more. I actually thought that they would faff around that question but no straight forward answer with no flannel. Seeing as the AA covers Jag assist now, it's more than likely that I will buy AA cover. I did look at Greenflag again but their database gives the wrong BHP for my car. It can be entered manually and they seem to have quite good reviews but those are all bunched together, good and bad and would take 6 months to read through.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”