Automatic gear not engaging

All Jaguar XE related discussions
1885wilson

Automatic gear not engaging

Post by 1885wilson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

My XE is now over three years old so out of warranty. One year ago whilst waiting to move away at traffic lights and gear set at drive ,engine running and held on foot brake, gear did not engage and despite selecting reverse or neutral and back to drive, engine revved but would not engage at all. Switched off ignition and the no problem.traffic behind not pleased.. Had it checked by AA no sign of any problem. Before my warranty expired I had Jaguar carry out full diagnostic check and no problem or history discovered . Today same problem occurred. This would be serious if it happened in a jam on a busy motorway.
Any suggestions? My mileage is 26000. Vehicle regularly serviced.

Repairman

Re: Automatic gear not engaging

Post by Repairman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 pm

I have had the inverse happen twice, once went from reverse to park, second time from drive to neutral all on its own!
Dealer applied a software update to gear selector module, time will tell if it does it again
XE R Sport 180 2.0D in Italian Racing Red

1885wilson

Re: Automatic gear not engaging

Post by 1885wilson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Just occurred to me that if Jaguar couldn’t solve problem when diagnostic check made, then their record of my car will show the history and it was clearly not detected and fixed BEFORE warranty expired therefore they are still responsible for correction of fault!

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”