Reverse camera harness

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
msa

Reverse camera harness

Post by msa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:43 am

Hi,
Reverse camera quit working - car tells while starting that camera system unavailable. First time it blew the 10amp fuse and after replacing the fuse camera worked for a day before going completely dead. Fuses are now ok. I removed the boot panels and checked the harness for obvious damage but could not find one. I would like to measure that wires are ok, but it was not obvious where the other end of the loom is. The wires go into a plastic channel around the rear seat. Does anyone know how far the connector is and what more needs to be removed to get there?

It does not look that the harness would be strained when opening/closing the boot lid, thus I doubt that the harness is the problem but would like to check, since new camera would be around 300 pounds.
Best,
Mika

Marks_DTM

Re: Reverse camera harness

Post by Marks_DTM » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:21 am

As per below, power is from the rear junction box and video goes to the audio head unit (unless you have surround camera setup). Audio head unit is either in the dash for Touch or left side of the boot for touch pro.

XE_Rear_Camera.JPG

Drives - Velar HSE 240D and 2019MY XE Landmark 20T - Cold Climate Pack - Adaptive Headlights - Power Boot - Memory seat pack - Folding and dimming door mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Spare Wheel

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Over the last 18 months, my rear camera has thrown a wobbler from time to time and says it's unavailable, but it has never blown a fuse. It usually goes off for a couple of days and then mysteriously all is well again. I did ask the the dealer to check it 12 months ago when the car was in for a new condenser before the 3 year warranty expired, but at that time it was working fine and they couldn't find anything. Doesn't seem to be weather related so no idea what the problem is. I am not really bothered about it, if it expires so be it, but so far it has always come back to life on it's own.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am

Maybe it’s a software issue. My camera occasionally doesn’t work but the surround sensors get displayed on the screen instead. It appears that the system gets confused on what it should be showing. Maybe something amiss with your software.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am
Maybe it’s a software issue. My camera occasionally doesn’t work but the surround sensors get displayed on the screen instead. It appears that the system gets confused on what it should be showing. Maybe something amiss with your software.
Could well be but it doesn’t happen very often so I’m not really bothered. The car is after all a computer on wheels so you just have to expect some glitches at times
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:57 pm
Mikeyjd wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am
Could well be but it doesn’t happen very often so I’m not really bothered. The car is after all a computer on wheels so you just have to expect some glitches at times
So the story about 'if cars were built by Gates and Co', is coming true then? We'll all be stopping on the hard shoulder to re-boot . . . . Errr??? Wot hard shoulder? :o
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

msa

Re: Reverse camera harness - FIXED

Post by msa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I finally got this sorted out. I had an old fashioned broken wire - nothing to do with the software. The first cable tie that is on the roof of the boot was extremely tight and the blue +12V wire was broken right after the tie. Unfortunately also the coaxial video signal cable was in pretty bad shape but luckily it is still working. Some new wire, soldering and heat shrinking tubes and everything is back in business.

Here are a couple of pics of the broken wire and the location of the cable tie in case someone experiences similar issues.

Broken power feed:

IMG_0489_s.jpg

Location of the brekage / cable tie.

IMG_0490_s.jpg

Big thanks to Marks_DTM - the wiring diagram was essential!

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”