USB connection to the phone cradle

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
agatti

USB connection to the phone cradle

Post by agatti » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 am

Hello gentlemen,

I will need to install a cable connecting the USB port under the armrest, with the phone cradle that I will attach to the floor console side panel. Ideally, the cable should appear from underneath the side panel.

Would you have an idea on how to do that ?

I presume I will need to remove the floor console side panel where the phone cradle will be attached, but how to drive a USB cable from the USB port to that side panel ???

Thank-you for your suggestions !!

Kind Regards

AG

Mikeyjd

Re: USB connection to the phone cradle

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Just an idea. Wouldn't it be easier to leave the phone inside the console? You can control the phone from the screen and steering wheel.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

agatti

Post by agatti » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm
Just an idea. Wouldn't it be easier to leave the phone inside the console? You can control the phone from the screen and steering wheel.
I can't do that as I use my smartphone as a navigation device as well, and the cradle is made specifically to be attached to the side of the floor console.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm

I seem to recall others have run the cable from the USB socket backwards under the arm rest hinge then run it forwards to the cradle.
The sides of the console are flexible enough to tuck the cable underneath where it meets the carpet.
Saves having to remove it.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

agatti

Post by agatti » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:01 pm

PhilB wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm
I seem to recall others have run the cable from the USB socket backwards under the arm rest hinge then run it forwards to the cradle.
The sides of the console are flexible enough to tuck the cable underneath where it meets the carpet.
Interesting ! I didn't think of it. Thanks, I will have a look to see if I can use the same route.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm

agatti wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:01 pm
PhilB wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm
Interesting ! I didn't think of it. Thanks, I will have a look to see if I can use the same route.
Yes, it will be a lot easier and no need to hide any wires. You can even use some Apps from your main screen if you download "Jaguar App", plus play music stored on your phone etc
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

bensales

Post by bensales » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 pm

In my XF I popped off the piece of console at the rear where the two vents are and found under the lining of the centre console cubby there was a handy hole. I ran the cable through that and out the back, then tucked it under the passenger side of the central console to bring it back forward. My Brodit mount is on the passenger side of the centre console just in front of the gear shift. All completely hidden once the rear piece of console was replaced.
2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

agatti

Post by agatti » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 am

bensales wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 pm
In my XF I popped off the piece of console at the rear where the two vents are and found under the lining of the centre console cubby there was a handy hole. I ran the cable through that and out the back, then tucked it under the passenger side of the central console to bring it back forward. My Brodit mount is on the passenger side of the centre console just in front of the gear shift. All completely hidden once the rear piece of console was replaced.
This is great, I'll try the same. Just one clarification. How did you make the cable go from the USB port which is inside the armrest compartment to the back where the air vents are ? You mean you found a hole there ? I inspected the armrest compartment and, at least visually, I can't see space/holes to use.

Thanks!

AG

bensales

Post by bensales » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 am

agatti wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 am
bensales wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 pm
This is great, I'll try the same. Just one clarification. How did you make the cable go from the USB port which is inside the armrest compartment to the back where the air vents are ? You mean you found a hole there ? I inspected the armrest compartment and, at least visually, I can't see space/holes to use.
Apologies, it was my old Mercedes that I found a hole. This is how I routed the XF behind the vents and under the side panel.

(I really need to clean the car after the family holiday!)

EB63206F-4E05-4D48-AC8D-D85A8BBE9826.jpeg

BDC4BFB4-0E07-4995-AAA8-0AA89BDD177B.jpeg

C5B8DC76-21B7-4C7A-8469-4D2972A33CD2.jpeg

2018 XF-S Supercharged. In black. With extra black bits. And a bit more black.

agatti

Post by agatti » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 am

Thank-you for the pictures ! Very illustrative, I will try and follow the same path ! Thanks !!!

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”