How soon for clay on new paint

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
BruceTheQuail

How soon for clay on new paint

Post by BruceTheQuail » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am

Hi, I recently got some Polish Angel products (passion cream and rapid wax) and used them on my F Type (IRR) with fantastic results. It is making the month old XE paint (Firenze) pale in comparison, so I'd like to do the XE as well which will involve a very light artificial clay (using the carpro products for that which seem good).

Now I seem to recall from years ago being told that paint needs 6 months or so to harden and you should be careful in that time, I'm not sure whether that was ever true nor whether it is the case now. This car was built in late May so it is only 3 months old. Is that too soon?
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

Vespa

Re: How soon for clay on new paint

Post by Vespa » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am

I have never heard of paint having to harden for 6 months but have been told never to apply polishes for 72 hours after painting. Personally I would just give it a good wash and dry and then apply a good polish/wax. The summer is just coming in Aus, so do it in the autumn. There isn't likely to be that much "cling on embedded" muck on it yet. I did mine in the back end of the summer last year and then again early summer this year and there wasn't a lot of crud on the paint, so it can wait for your autumn to have a good effect.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Ahhh, that's exactly why I want to do it now - before it gets too hot. In summer I have to wash the cars at 6AM and you melt trying to wax them.

I need to give it a light clay to get off whatever the dealers put on, so that the new stuff goes on well.

Will try this weekend, thanks!
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

eski

Post by eski » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 am

I'd recommend that do not clay your car unless it is dirty with stuff what is hard to remove with normal washing methods. Claying new car could end with more scratches, YMMV. To make it shine polish it with machine and then add your favorite top coat.

I had my XE ceramically coated just week after delivery. Shop did polish it with machine as the paint (clear coat) was not very gloss from factory.
MY18 25t RWD R-Sport, Firenze Red, ICTP, allmost all the fun stuff.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”