PCV Excessive Oil Vapour

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
danialdonohue

PCV Excessive Oil Vapour

Post by danialdonohue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Evening all,

Car has had a rough idle and the exhaust has a weird resonant noise during acceleration for a while and finally decided to have a look into it!

I was looking for the vacuum lines and tested them to make sure they're ok, they seem to be, but I spotted my air intake has a lot of oil residue after the turbo!

After a brief panic I started pulling pipes off to see what it originated, thankfully it appears to be before the turbo; it's coming from the PCV!

I pulled the pipe from the crank case and struck up the car, low and behold, lots of oily vapour! I attached a video so you can see... No I didn't I can't upload a video, picture of the leak instead!

IMG_20190913_183212.jpg

Now, I thought that a pcv valve controlled the ventilation at idle, to prevent exactly the issue I have? Does the XE have a proper pcv, or is it literally a pipe off the top of the head?

Also, I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it with carb cleaner, took it for a test drive and took off like a rocket; something don't ever recall my car doing! So I think I might have found a cause of many problems.

So, do the cars have a proper PCV?
Do I try and pull the parts off the head and have a look?
Do I just fit a catch tank and plead ignorant?

Obviously, once the problem is resolved, I have the joyous task of cleaning the intake and intercooler... 😒

Thank you in advance!

JiggyJag

Re: PCV Excessive Oil Vapour

Post by JiggyJag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Sorry way over my head - bump
Out of interest, which engine is it?
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:43 pm

And how many miles?
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

danialdonohue

Post by danialdonohue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 am

Sorry notifications didn't seem to work!

180d for the engine and 51,000 miles. 15 plate.

I spotted some other threads alluding to a similar problem and it looks like Jag were replacing the pipe under warranty, which to me just masks the problem until the car is out of warranty.

I found the pcv, which I'll try and get a picture of, but it seemed to be in perfect working order. It's just a rubber diaphragm with a spring, nothing too technical!

So I've dropped the oil and replaced it, still seems to be the same when warm. So sod it, I'll sort out a catch can!

When it's done I'll upload some pics, I imagine someone will come across this too at some point!

Bamm

Post by Bamm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Out off interest how is it with this problem?
I have the same problem and it usses 1 liter Oil per 2000 mile.
Had done 75000 mile

Mikeyhc1

Post by Mikeyhc1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:18 pm

That seems excessive Bamm. Mine uses about half a litre every every 12k miles if that.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”