Home TV's

The place to discuss everything else..
Vespa

Home TV's

Post by Vespa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:11 pm

We are considering a new TV and want to get uptodate facilities. Is "catch up TV" part of the latest teles and how does it operate ie through an aerial or broadband router? What are the pitfalls to look for and what makes are worth looking at? We are not into gigantic screens either. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could just go to the likes of Curry's but they will probably try to sell me what they want to shift. :mrgreen:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Re: Home TV's

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Been a while since I bought one but have a look at one with something simple like Freeview play built in as this gives access to all the catchup tv stations etc.
They will connect with your home wifi to access lots of stuff (apps) you probably don't need and go for a 4K UHD (I think it would be hard to find one that isn't).
Don't buy anything from an obscure brand.
I have been a Sony fan for years but I'll look at Samsung next as they are supposed to be very good.
Signals come via the good old aerial wire as usual.
Don't spend huge amounts either as you probably don't need a monster!
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

moose

Post by moose » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Personally I steer clear of TV’s with all the built in gizmos after an expensive experience my sister in law has just had, the TV’s may be so called smart but as she found out her smart tv is now pretty dumb !

She bought a Samsung Smart TV a couple of years ago with build in catch up, built in freeview tuner etc etc. All was fine until a few months ago when she lost all catch-up apart from BBC I player and the list of freeview channels started getting shorter by the day.

To cut the story short, the TV’s firmware no longer supported most of the catchup TV after ITV, C4 etc had changed the format. Samsung have said they are not going to supply an upgrade for the TV’s firmware so she is stuck with BBC I player only.
We still can’t find out why freeview channels are missing, full re instal of the TV has been fruitless.

She has cut her losses and purchased a TV without the gizmos, connected a freeview box and connected to the internet and everything is fine.

Her experience may be quite rare but seeing the money she has lost I will stick to a dumb TV and a set top box.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for that Phil and Bob. We have all Sony at present but the recorder is getting signals turned off for series at times and I don't know why. It is usually new programme series. After the first one or two broadcasts it is OK so I think it is something akin to JLR's Incontrol (ish) and the other end is the faults, not having the correct programme alloted code.

We have a set top box also, made by/for Goodmans. This box records quite well with more clarity than the Sony recorder even with that connected with the HDMI lead and that is through a Scart. That box usually gets everything but new programmes in a series are also sometimes not recording. This is why I think the transmissions are faulty from the TV companies. The Goodmans box is a secondary item and can record two progs at the same time from different channels. As the TV companies mostly broadcast rubbish we record what we want and watch later. This is why I thought Catchup TV would be a good idea. Maybe not such a good idea after all. :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm

We recently bought a Panasonic TV, which has all the catch up AP's you will need. Yes you will need a decent broadband to use them though and this goes for all TVs. In addition to this, we have a Roku Stick, which we use all of the time. It's much quicker than the TV APs and enables Netflix, NowTV, Prime Video, all the catch up AP's plus many more. If your old TV is OK then this is all you need, provided it has HDMI and USB sockets at the rear.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Fozzie1960

Post by Fozzie1960 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 pm

If you want impartial advice go to your local John Lewis. Tell them your requirements, price range and they will recommend a suitable TV. Also, they give you a five year guarantee.
Portfolio 180 Auto / Italian Racing Red / Jet Leather Seats / Parking Pack with Camera / Memory Pack with Powerfold Mirrors / Heated Front Screen / Split Rear Seats.

spritely

Post by spritely » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:36 pm

I can recommend Richer sounds too - online, but they do have stores around the country. Very helpful staff, which will point you in the right direction.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm

spritely wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:36 pm
I can recommend Richer sounds too - online, but they do have stores around the country. Very helpful staff, which will point you in the right direction.
I second Richer Sounds. My Tele broke down outside the manufacturer warranty and it was still covered with their 5 year free cover.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 am

Thank you all for the continuing input to my query.

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:11 am

For good advice and prices try Richer Sounds, I don't know where you are in North West, but they have a branch in Liverpool, Manchester, Chester and Preston + 6 yr warranty
Samsung is good, LG is recommended in Which.
Last edited by Martyn UK on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portfolio 200 Ingenium Petrol, 18 MY,Loire Blue ,Light Oyster, Split rear seats, spare wheel,14way front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, Power fold heated mirrors , ICT Pro Meridian, Blind spot monitor.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”