Home TV's

The place to discuss everything else..
Vespa

Re: Home TV's

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you Martyn. I am interested in the features the facilities on the TV ie Catchup and how it operates. My current Sony TV is very good but becoming dated, for new features. I will have a look at Richer sounds probably in Liverpool as I can also visit John Lewis at the same time.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

BevC

Post by BevC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:30 am

As well as the Roku stick you could also consider the Apple TV, which not only does catch up but also iTunes to buy/rent films and TV series - can get 4K version. Have a look in the Apple refurbished store, as there are usually some available in there. Look for a TV with a minimum of two HDMI cables (you will need these to plug in things like Blu Ray etc) and a USB inputs (for the Roku stick). The price of next gen OLED is now falling and this may be worth consideration. Get one with a long guarantee and from a good supplier, such as John Lewis or Richer.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

JasperTheJag

Post by JasperTheJag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:35 am

Another recommendation for richer sounds. Their stores are usually well stocked with a good price range of stuff. Staff are super helpful and friendly rather than pushy.
'17 180D R Sport, Firenze Red.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:51 am

That is how I like service. I bought my XE because the salesman wasn't pushy.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

lexie

Post by lexie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:15 am

Best brands are Panasonic, Sony followed by Samsung then the rest. Unfortunately, any smart functions will probably become obsolete like any commodity item nowadays, We have a 10 year old Panasonic 42", the picture is still up there with most of todays TV's. The smart connectivity compatibility fizzled out a few years ago, but it's not a big issue as the £25 Roku usb stick provides everything catchup and streaming (even the stick is a few years old now).

Ten years ago lots of TV's had built in Freesat tuners alongside Freeview, so replacing mine is going to be more difficult. Freeview signal here can be a bit iffy sometimes and there's a couple of different channels on either service. Big advantage of the Panny Freesat TV is that it can also tune to other satellites. A second LNB receiver mounted on the dish picks up ASTRA 19E which broadcasts Formula 1 live on RTL Germany (using Radio 5 live for the commentary, as we don't speak German),
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am

Thank you Bev for the info on HDMI and USB. I have taken note of that. Thank you Lexie for your info as well.

moose

Post by moose » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm

I have just been looking at the Roku stick as Freesat no longer have All 4 (channel 4 catch up) since they refused to pay C4’s fees. Does the Roku stick have it as I can’t see it in their bumph only channel 4 itself ?

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

lexie

Post by lexie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes, I just checked and my Roku stick does have the All4 catchup app which is working.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

moose

Post by moose » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks Lexie.
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm

I used to sell TV's many years ago. I have always been a Sony fan and generally stick to the brand. Recently I wanted a TV for the kitchen, not too big either so I thought I would try other makes. I found JVC's are pretty decent TV's and have good spec for the price. I compared the features and went for a model with Freeview, Freeview Catchup, Built in Netflix etc. Internet connection is essential for the catchup and netflix. You can even access Youtube and email etc.

There are a lot of TV's out there. Currys have decent range. I would suggest you pick 2 or 3 models you quite fancy, then do a bit of research on the internet to heck for full spec. Most TV's have built in Freeview but not all have the catchup feature, which is very handy. Often if I turn on the TV and a program has started it will flash up "watch from beginning".
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”