Sygic v Genius Maps on ICT

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Mikeyjd

Sygic v Genius Maps on ICT

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I am running a bit of an experiment that others may be interested in.

I have the ICT non Pro, and I'm not overly impressed with the built in Sat Nav. The navigation isn't too bad and the screen looks pretty nice in use. But I don't want to pay every year to upgrade the maps and I really want Speed cameras too. So, I am looking at buying a sat nav app for my iphone and using on the built in infotainment via Jaguar Apps.

There are many apps on the market, some free some pay-for. Most work on the phone only. The only 2 apps that will work are Sygic and Genius maps. Both have a 7 day trial but that didn't really give much time for me to assess them both.

In the end I bit the bullet and paid for both apps. They both have some good points but also both have some downfalls.

Sygic appears to have the best features, but the main downfall is that when using on the infotainment, the sound does not pick up the warning for speed cameras, although it shows up on the screen.

Genius Maps, isn't as nice an interface and it lacks some of the adjustments that Sygic does. However it does give an audible as well as visual warning of speed cameras. The disadvantage is that the voice instructions are very quiet when playing music via the infotainment. So, you have to either have your music on loud or risk missing a warning or whatever.

I will be trying to "tweak" the too apps and try them under different conditions. I will let people know how it goes. If anybody is thinking of buying one of these app and wants to ask me any questions on usage. Please feel free.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

KevinInSuffolkUK

Re: Sygic v Genius Maps on ICT

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Have you considered using something else for the speed cameras?
My dashcam has audible warnings for these and operate completely separate to everything else.

Totally agree with you on the built-in map update extortion BTW.
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

Prof Pat Pending

Re: Sygic v Genius Maps on ICT

Post by Prof Pat Pending » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 pm

How fixed are you on using the screen :?:

I use Waze (since the Jag system attempted to turn me into oncoming traffic :o)
I find the instructions so clear, that I don’t miss the map, speed cameras are a verbal warning as are everything else, hazards, police, even roadkill has come up.

Here’s the kicker, I used to run it through Spotify so the instructions were very clear, since Spotify disappeared I’ve had to run it through Bluetooth, which is unfortunately a bit pants on sound quality.

I don’t actually bother to plug the phone in anymore, most of the apps are rubbish, some don’t even work in the UK
Xe S 340 in Dark Sapphire with black pack and 19” Venoms
Black interior, Meridian sound system and head-up display

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”