'A' pillar interior trim removal

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
dolphinfreindly

'A' pillar interior trim removal

Post by dolphinfreindly » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Does anyone know how to remove the interior trim panels from the a pillars? I had a look under the 'airbag' tag thinking there would be a screw there but I couldn't see one. Perhaps there should be? So I removed the pillar bit of the door seal and tried to pull it away, but gave as I didn't want to break anything.
Anyone any ideas?

PaulC

Re: 'A' pillar interior trim removal

Post by PaulC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:32 pm

There's a metal clip under the airbag tag, you need to lever it to one side with a small screwdriver - can't remember which direction from memory.

Hopefully this crude drawing helps...

IMG_20191011_213105.jpg

[Awaiting Delivery] Jaguar XE SE P300 |[Awaiting Delivery] Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV400 | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

dolphinfreindly

Post by dolphinfreindly » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Perfect, a picture says a thousand words!!!, Many thanks

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:10 am

Here is a link to the WSM
WSM-18294 - Workshop Manual XE A Pillar Trim.pdf
(86.99 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Just a heads up, the workshop manuals (all versions) are wrong in the two instances I've removed the A pillar trim :( - they lead you to believe it's a normal trim clip (the metal capped purple plastic ones - part number escapes me at the moment) and can be removed with the usual tool due to the rubbish images they use - I found out the hard way after destroying the first one getting it out (Jaguarclassicparts.com has the replacement clips if you do the same).
[Awaiting Delivery] Jaguar XE SE P300 |[Awaiting Delivery] Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV400 | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Paul, is the metal clip in your drawing the only one or are the other two in the WSM drawing there as well and do they unclip easily?
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:37 pm

There's only one (behind the airbag badge) of the type in my drawing in the ones I've removed. The other clip shown in the WSM at the bottom of the pillar is just a locating tang.

Procedure is as per the WSM, pull the top out (after releasing the clip - don't just yank it like their drawing shows), then pull outwards and slightly towards the roof to unhook from the dashboard.

There must have been several revisions of the fixings as I think the very first XE's had a screw rather than the clip? (I've not taken apart an early one)

dolphinfreindly

Post by dolphinfreindly » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:02 pm

When I removed mine today with the help of the forum, I thought I would take a couple of photos showing the clip arrangement.
This is looking into the hole where the airbag tab goes, to the right is the top

This shows what the clip looks like, so it's easy to see exactly what you need to do to release it, again to the right is the top

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”