New F-Type is out.

The place to discuss everything else..
PhilB

New F-Type is out.

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 am

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/index.html

Topic on the F-Type forums too and some are saying the front looks like an XE.
I think that's a good thing.
:D
I think it looks meaner than the old one.
V6's have gone (rumour is the new straight six doesn't fit) so it's a P300 or a couple of V8's in different power outputs.
Oh yes, they have also brought "Bluefire" back.
I always liked that colour on the XE.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Mitchbitch

Re: New F-Type is out.

Post by Mitchbitch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am

Very facelift XE at front end, which makes it a gorgeous coupe, it’s a shame there’s no V or flat 6 as the performance really mirrors the XEP300, or you pay a third more for ( BMW’s? V8), Still i’d Like it to be on santa’s List!
MY20 XE P250s R Dynamic caesium blue

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 am

Nice, but it looks like i will keep the 300 sport now. ;)

The V6 dropped, and apparently the straight 6 won't fit, so, its the V8 or 300/4 pot, that i already have, and as the V8 is out of my price range it rules that out. PLUS, i can seat more than 2 in the XE, and carry a bit more luggage, and its AWD and just as quick, so unless the straight 6 magically fits and is in my price range, i'll just have to stick with my 'boring' old XE 300 Sport. :lol: Oh Well such is life. :roll:
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 am

I see response is very mixed on the Hive of Scum and Villainy.... :o
(warning PH is not as friendly as here!)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1843669

I have to wonder if some of the complainers have ever driven a Jag, and if they have, have they worked out how to get it out of Eco Mode... :lol:

I'm not sure how you can call 295 Lb Ft from 1500 to 4500rpm "gutless" :roll:

It is a shame the inline 6 doesn't fit, though, that would probably be the best combination.
A pre-facelift Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. With more toys than you can shake a stick at! :lol:

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 am

It looks great and I like the bonnet styling, pity they couldn't fit a straight six in under that big bonnet, thought straight six's were more compact? Porsche seem to manage it.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new straight six was very compact and not much longer than the V6.
Looking at the engine bay on an XE there's a lot of room in front of the V6 .
Another odd thing is that a Dutch bloke on the F-Type forums still has the 340 and 380 V6 on his configurator for the new one.
Weird.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.

simpler

Post by simpler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 am

Its the biggest topic of the year on the F-Type forum - 8 pages!
https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3979

Being an F-Type owner, the front is causing some "marmite" responses. I'm still undecided. It looks a bit XE'ish, which isn't a bad thing as the XE looks really good and I'm still looking for a family car replacement but shouldn't it remain more distinctive?

I'm still amazed that after 10 years of car manufacturers down sizing engines, Jaguar decide to drop the middle of the range 3L V6 and put in a larger and less efficient de-tuned 5L V8. Quite bizarre when they dropped the previous de-tuned V8 "S" 488bhp in 2016 as no one brought it...... but petrol heads must be happy. The v6 has sold more than double the 2L and 5L variants combined!

Many conflicting news stories, but apparently the i6 engine (with or without its hybrid add-ons) wont fit in an F-Type as its too long. Would that be the same for the XE as well?

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:39 am

simpler wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 am
Its the biggest topic of the year on the F-Type forum - 8 pages!
https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3979

Being an F-Type owner, the front is causing some "marmite" responses. I'm still undecided. It looks a bit XE'ish, which isn't a bad thing as the XE looks really good and I'm still looking for a family car replacement but shouldn't it remain more distinctive?

I'm still amazed that after 10 years of car manufacturers down sizing engines, Jaguar decide to drop the middle of the range 3L V6 and put in a larger and less efficient de-tuned 5L V8. Quite bizarre when they dropped the previous de-tuned V8 "S" 488bhp in 2016 as no one brought it...... but petrol heads must be happy. The v6 has sold more than double the 2L and 5L variants combined!

Many conflicting news stories, but apparently the i6 engine (with or without its hybrid add-ons) wont fit in an F-Type as its too long. Would that be the same for the XE as well?
Yes with "Dan the Man" getting all huffy and doing his photoshopping stuff.
:lol:
As I just posted there's a lot of space in the XE bay in front of the existing V6.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 am

I reckon once it's been out a few months, people will like it. Pistonheads has never been a good community, full of armchair warriors who believe more BHP = better car.

If a straight six doesn't fit, it would be such a mistake from Jag. Most car reviewers said the V6 was the pick of the bunch with a good mix of power, noise and agility. Apparently the new R is the old SVR with some project 8 suspension work which means the new SVR is going to be mental!
MY 17 XE S 340 Yulong White, Pan roof, 18 way seats, heated wheel, power folding mirrors, powered boot, split folding seats

simpler

Post by simpler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am

Apparently NO SVR. You'll have to wait for the new new F-Type due MY2023

Q&A: Alan Volkaerts, vehicle line director,

Why have you dropped the V6 F-Type?
The decision not to offer the V6 in the UK and Europe follows a sales review showing demand is by far the heaviest for the four-cylinder engine. Also, we believe the introduction of a new 444bhp V8 in both AWD and RWD forms still offers customers a strong range.

** Eh, twice as many V6 on the road than 2L and 5L combined! Where do they get "sales review" data from!

Why didn’t you use the new Ingenium straight six?
It’s a simple question of packaging. With demand for the four-cylinder so strong, we simply couldn’t justify the significant investment needed.

** AKA does not fit?

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”