New F-Type is out.

The place to discuss everything else..
BruceTheQuail

Re: New F-Type is out.

Post by BruceTheQuail » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am

Yes a lot of upset on the US forum but personally I like it, it has a 70's retro muscle car look about it. Here in Oz we still get the v6.

Mine is tuned to 450hp and while I am biased I think it is just about perfect for the car in RWD format, feral but controllable and light at the front end. The 450hp 8 should be nice in RWD format. The AWD doesnt suit the car IMO as you feel too much weight in the front.

I think it is a nice facelift. The last few years they have really gone backwards with the vent treatment, this is a step in the right direction.
2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze lotsa goodies incl RWD!
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements, pulley and tune
Gone but still loved - 2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:42 am

simpler wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am
Apparently NO SVR. You'll have to wait for the new new F-Type due MY2023

Q&A: Alan Volkaerts, vehicle line director,

Why have you dropped the V6 F-Type?
The decision not to offer the V6 in the UK and Europe follows a sales review showing demand is by far the heaviest for the four-cylinder engine. Also, we believe the introduction of a new 444bhp V8 in both AWD and RWD forms still offers customers a strong range.

** Eh, twice as many V6 on the road than 2L and 5L combined! Where do they get "sales review" data from!

Why didn’t you use the new Ingenium straight six?
It’s a simple question of packaging. With demand for the four-cylinder so strong, we simply couldn’t justify the significant investment needed.

** AKA does not fit?
I think they were too embarrassed that the straight 6 didnt fit that they blamed it on poor sales. The 2 litre is only a couple years old so of course it's going to show a steeper rise in sales compared to the engines which are 6/7 years old
MY 17 XE S 340 Yulong White, Pan roof, 18 way seats, heated wheel, power folding mirrors, powered boot, split folding seats

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:56 am

"the significant investment" ?
As this is a "wipe it's face and arse" refresh and sling the latest TFT screen in I'm wondering if that meant having to spend money on new engine mountings/architecture for the straight six which would have taken more money/time.
As its stands like the XE under the skin it's the same engines so no cost there.

EDIT:
Apparently the new straight six has the mild hybrid 48v system which needs some big additional changes.
So I would think the completely new F-Type (if there is going to be one) might get it.
https://www.jaguarheritage.com/jaguar-history/jaguar-engineering/ingenium-engines/
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Ian d

Post by Ian d » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:55 pm

The straight 6 doesn’t fit in the XE or the F-Type. Both cars were never designed for one. The F-Type is based on the XK which started life in 2006.

There quite a few under the skin changes too, suspension has been altered, taking parts from the SVR. The sweet spot must be the mid range RWD V8 model which is still the same 5L V8 as the contract doesn’t run out till Sept 2020 when Bridgend plant winds down.

I think the facelift looks much more aggressive, will be my replacement for the XE next year.
2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY, Loire blue, ICTP, 380w Meridian, 350mm brakes, climate pack, parking pack, sports pedals, keyless, power-fold mirrors, 10 way seats, 4 way lumbar, extra sockets. Black/Oyster interior.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”