Speed Limit Reductions

The place to discuss everything else..
BevC

Speed Limit Reductions

Post by BevC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 pm

I turned on to a B road near our home yesterday and got up to 60mph, at which point my speed warning flashed. I admit to being a bit confused and checked with the car’s display, which said 50mph. I then saw a speed limit sign which said 50mph. When I used the same road about 2 weeks ago I did 60mph and the car said 60mph.

My husband came down the same road last night and when he got home I asked when the limit was changed (he comes this way most nights). He looked perplexed and asked what I meant. I explained what had happened to me earlier and he smiled at me. Not only had he not noticed but neither had any of the cars in front of him - oops.

Our local rural roads seem to have had a rethink in terms of speed. I’m sure it’s something to do with either accident statistics or pollution but it would be helpful if there were signage to let everyone know that a change has been made.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

Mike Rometer

Re: Speed Limit Reductions

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Be aware, there WILL be speed checks there when the settling in time has passed. What's the settling in time? When the authorities think time is up! No need to ask how I know.

On a similar vein the display in my car seems to be getting it wrong more and more often this last week or so. What's that about?
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:51 pm

There should really be a 'change of speed limit' sign erected if this happens. Could be useful as a loophole if you get copped.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

KevinInSuffolkUK

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Does the new 50mph sign have a yellow background? If so this would indicate that there's been a bad accident on that stretch of road.
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

BevC

Post by BevC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 pm

No - no yellow background. If it truly is for safety reasons surely it would be sensible to alert people to this to draw attention to the dangers of the road.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 pm

If it's the same road I'm thinking of, I hit a deer along there a couple of years ago (at no-where near 60) - quite often you'll see remains in the ditches/bushes at the side of the road along with pieces of cars, so could be something to do with that.
Jaguar XE R-Dynamic SE P300 | Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV400 | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”