Few issues to be checked in the coming weeks

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
justIII

Few issues to be checked in the coming weeks

Post by justIII » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi guys,
My XE (2.0D R-Sport 180ps) just tuned 65'000 km and it is time for the service (had it in Portugal and brought it back to Switzerland). It is still under warranty (I extended 2plus years on top of the standard 3) and i collected a few problems to be checked. I wonder if any of you had experience&solutions for the below issues:

(this is the problems list I've sent to my Jaguar dealer - they've been always very receptive and helpful)

1.The car still has the small vibration, it is quite a slow bumpy vibration/judder (like someone is shaking my car or bouncing in the back seat just before the engine reaches idle (revving down). I would like that you guys definitely have a look on that, again. I’ve driven Mercedes, BMW, Audi and even some Citroen and none of them have this annoying “parasitic” vibration while in idle. The thing is that when the engine mounts were replaced at you guys, the car was running pretty smoothly, no vibration at all for 3000/4000km… then it came back again...

2.The breaking noise (clacs) when front>rear>front maneuver is back again as well as the squeak coming from the brake pads when car is cold.

3.My XE is suffering from very intermittent brake vibration. Only ever happens after under hard braking at high speed...steering wheel vibrates...this vibration remains if I touch breaks again even under gentle/moderate braking at high or low speed. Sequence would be something like this: High speed -> break -> vibration -> low speed -> break -> still vibrates. After riding awhile without heavy breaking, it stops vibrating. To me, it feels like the discs get overheated and lose them performance or like one of the clippers pistons is not working properly. This could come from the former break problems I had last year. I remember you guys already changed all discs and pads last year due to an overheated disc. I drove from Portugal last Sunday and it was really annoying when I needed to brake from 150/160km/h to 100km/h. This cannot be justified with a simple: “According to a mechanic this effect is called break fading and is pretty normal with your break system”. I come from 8 years ownership of a Fiat Grand Punto Sport 1.9 Diesel and I can assure you guys that never had any issue or vibrations while braking from 200km/h to 100km/h. Please, if you can, check all XE failures in the system. I suspect that maybe I will need to update the braking system to the XE S version… is this possible? How much does this cost?

4.Engine oil leaking/drop (attached picture). I added 2 liter of the Castrol 0w30 Edge in order to be safe for the way back to Switzerland. I don’t understand why though the XE doesn’t show any kind of warning for such important problem like engine running almost out of oil!!! Please, I want that one of the mechanics is present when I will drop my car that we can see it together (not disassemble, just see the oil like in the picture). Because never saw any oil drop mark where I park the car, I wonder if my turbo is drinking the stuff because of a fault? I am really concerned regarding this issue!!!!!!!!

5.Last but not least, I never got the warning/request, DEF, to refill the adBlue. Is it normal to last till 34000kms or can the sensor maybe be damaged? Please check this as well.

Thanks for the feed's

thumbnail_image003.jpg

XE 20d R-Sport Automat... just love my car+engine even though I would have preferred the amazing 3.0 V6 Petrol...

Groningen

Re: Few issues to be checked in the coming weeks

Post by Groningen » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 am

Hi,

To what I read, your brakes need to be checked, the might be worn.
Also check the engine mounts vibration dampers, they fail.
Oil looks like a “sweating” oilpan gasket, or something which collects there. Have it checked.
The def warning...... very strange, it doesn’t seem to use any. Did you have a former owner who deleted this from the software?

Adam
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport 163 diesel. Ultimate black.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:21 pm

1) That sounds like engine mounts.
2) That sounds like the slide pins are sticking although the XE has a distictive clack on lock in cold weather when turning on start up and it is normal. The XE pads will squeak a bit when cold as the moisture on the disc causes a very light rusting overnight in cold weather. It can be minimised by a light smear of brake grease or copperslip on the back of the pads. Every car I have had with discs has done it in cold conditions, but usually goes after driving a few miles. If it does it all the time then the pads need attention and checking that the anti squeal shims have been fitted with the new pads you now have.
3) If you are getting vibration in the steering under heavy braking then the discs are warped. The main reason for this after a replacement set have been fitted is because they have not been checked for run out with a dial guage and so one part gets hot and in the end the disc warps. Replacing discs for many is just remove the old and slap on the new with the consequencies of the disc running out of true and warping. Some are lucky and the disc runs true after the hub is given a good clean. Brake fade can be caused by fitting the wrong heat range pads or the fluid starting to boil as it has absorbed too much moisture from the air. It is recommended that brake fluid is changed every two years.
As to the oil drip it could be the turbo but will need furthur investigation. I had one replaced at 5000 miles for noise and it was done as a precaution.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

justIII

Post by justIII » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for yours replies. As promised, some updates:

@Groningen&@Vespa:

The engine mounts vibration damper were already changed in the past, when the car had appox. 30000km's.
Regarding the Adblue, I am the first owner (was a demo car and i got it with only 1400km's) and I've already mentioned while the 34'000km service that the car didn't request any.
I also was under warranty once in Portugal due to a "non engine start". Luckily it happened when I was in Porto JLR dealer to check another thing. They were not able to start the car before inspecting it. This is what they did according the WASP-entry: "timing chain, gear wheels and an engine kit replaced. Software updated and various system updates carried out."

I dropped the car just last Tue morning and this is the feedback I got today:

"Thank you for your message. This morning we did receive an written approval to dismantle the engine. This is an important factor for the correct diagnosis. Afterwards the further steps will be discussed with the Guarantee Department. As soon as we know more, we'll let you know. The service works are carried out, the breaks and the vibration checked. The cover for the side door is ordered but not available within Switzerland. We expect to receive this part within 15 days.

The replacement of the breaks is not covered by guarantee. From the safety aspect, nothing is wrong with the brakes. This has been checked thoroughly. But they squeek especially when wet.

The vibrations needs further checking.

We shall keep you posted.

Best regards,
"
XE 20d R-Sport Automat... just love my car+engine even though I would have preferred the amazing 3.0 V6 Petrol...

justIII

Post by justIII » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Some more updates regarding this big intervention:

"Thanks for your message. This morning we started with the removal of the engine. It looks that there is an issue with a not properly tightened cover. As soon as the engine is removed, we know more.

I'll keep you posted."

Looks like the warranty carried out by JLR Portugal was not the best one... lets see...

justIII

Post by justIII » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 pm

So it looks they found the source of the oil leaking ...

This is the current situation today:

"The engine is removed and the issues clearly visible. Fotos and a covering quotation has been forwarded to the guarantee department. They will check into this matter. Hopefully we get an approval within the next few days. With the additional guarantee, the process is quite complicated and we should not begin the work without having received a written approval. The gaskets of the timing chains have not been fitted properly by our portuegese colleagues. As soon as we know more, we let you know."

... very sad that i could almost "burned" my engine due to a "wrong" repair. It is true that mistakes can happen but thank God i got my guarantee extended ...

I take this post also to ask what you guys think about the car Parallel Import option w.r.t national ones? I am considering to change my XE 2.0d R-Sport and go for a XF Sportbreak 3.0D Portofolio full equipped. Price wise looks great and the car itself, is another level but being parallel/direct import, does it play a big role w.r.t guarantee/warranty and so? What could be drawbacks of buying such a car?

Cheers

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”