Need a new Engine - anyone had this experience?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
EyePeaSea

Need a new Engine - anyone had this experience?

Post by EyePeaSea » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:28 am

I've got a 2016 XE Portfolio 2.0d - 86k miles. At the end of last year, a month a couple of months out of warranty, I had a broken Camshaft Valve (or something like that). £1,900 to fix (as they put in a new timing chain etc. whenever they do anything with the camshaft). After asking very nicely, my dealership got this work paid for FoC by Jaguar. There was about another £1k of work I was having done with the dealership so they had an incentive to help me out anyway.

Overall, not impressed that some this big would break just out of warranty. However, very impressed that Jaguar funded the repair completely.

Last week, I noticed the engine was a bit noisier than normal. Not terrible, but probably on a par with a cheap/old diesel engine. I checked the oil level and it was up to the top line. I drove 30 miles to work the next morning, same kind of noise. Could hear it at low speeds but not on the motor way. Then 1 mile from work, the noise got a lot louder - bag of screws in a tumble dryer type sound. I slow right down. 1/4 mile from work, the 'Critical engine oil level'. 60 seconds from my office where it would be safe to stop - so I crawled slowly to the car park.

I couldn't see the engine temperature because I have the Road Speed Sign indicator which replaces the temperature guage (nice design Jaguar) but when I checked the oil again, the engine capartment seemed very hot.

Car recovered to the dealership, wait 2 days and they say it needs a new engine - £10k fitted. That year / milleage, the car is worth about £10k - although obviously with a brand new engine, the life of the car would be extended.

The dealership are requesting Jaguar consider a contribution (same reason as last time - only a few months out of warranty and catastrophic things really shouldn't happen.). I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I've had one quote for £8.5k (recon engine fitted) and another quote for £2.8k (they repair my engine, but the price could go up if they need things like new pistons and valves).

Has anyone been in a similiar situation? What did you do? Any other comments? (except sniggering from the back of the room, I really don't need that :lol: )

Clearly, lesson for me is that I should have got the extended warranty. But my time machine is also broken and so I can't go back and fix that mistake.

Thanks

Ian
2016 Jaguar XE Portfolio - Racing Red

akaazz

Re: Need a new Engine - anyone had this experience?

Post by akaazz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:51 pm

That’s such a shame, especially just out of warranty - I hope they sort it for you

Mine goes out of warranty this Apr, so I’ll think about extended warranties then
Have people had issues out of warranty too then?
XE 2.0d [180] R Sport Auto|Ammonite Grey|19" 5031 Diamond Alloys |8 Way Seats| Parking Pack|Cold Climate Pack|Meridian Sound System | 2017

EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks - I've got fingers and toes crossed.

About the extended warranty - there was a discussion here: https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8679

I think I've had more than my fair share of things going wrong, so an extended warranty would put me in a much better position than I am in now. But you might not have a single problem for 12 months and then you're down £600. It's like any insurance policy. As Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry - "you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" :-)

akaazz

Post by akaazz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 pm

Haha yeh, I’ve not had too many issues in the 3yrs
But is it safer to be protected, or just put it in a nest egg
Hrrrmmm

Good luck :)
XE 2.0d [180] R Sport Auto|Ammonite Grey|19" 5031 Diamond Alloys |8 Way Seats| Parking Pack|Cold Climate Pack|Meridian Sound System | 2017

mickxe

Post by mickxe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:47 pm

You've made me fell really good (NOT) I've just done 100,000 miles in my 4 year old 2.0 ltr Xe diesel and although I've got a copy of the service history I'm having a few problems with it, at the moment nothing too major. I wasn't too bothered when I bought it just over three months ago because one of my previous car was 2007 x type sovereign 2.2 diesel. 99,500 on the clock when I bought it 180.000 when I sold it 7 years later. Hardly missed a beat all that time, just changed the oil every 6 months. My Xe is going to Jaguar tomorrow to have a 100,000 mile service and I'm hoping to have the same trouble free motoring as my first Jag. I suppose it all depends on luck, mind you I have taken out a third party warranty just in case.

Good Luck
MY16 2.0 Prestige in Ultimate Black, Auto, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Sat Nav, Leather Interior, Rear Window Sunblind and loads more toys

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear of your woes - I would be very surprised, and dismayed if anyone on here would snigger about such an issue. I assume you were joking though when you said that. We are a friendly and helpful bunch on here. :)
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:12 am

spritely wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm
surprised, and dismayed if anyone on here would snigger about such an issue.
Thanks. And yes, I was just joking - bit of gallows humour. Need to keep joking about things otherwise I'll get too depressed about it. I have been a bit unlucky with my XE and I'd hate it if this was the end of my journey with the XE. I've had two fantastic drivings holidays (7 or 8 countries each time) and not only was it fantastic to drive those long miles, but I got a lot of favourible attention from locals who seemed to love it as well! :-)

EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:15 am

mickxe wrote: I have taken out a third party warranty just in case.
I think that's wise. I was always told that 100k in a diesel was no big deal - they should go on for much longer. But I wonder if cars are going the way of white goods in the home. Gone are the days of washing machines lasting 10 years....

Ian0304

Post by Ian0304 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Awful situation I’m sorry for your troubles. You have had significant work done to your engine and a short time later it breaks and a new engine is the outcome? I’d be asking the dealership if in any way it was related to the previous repair and seek a second opinion if in the likelihood they say it wasn’t. Appears awfully conincidental and bad luck if that’s the case. There’s no way I’d be paying 10k for a new engine for a car that’s potentially worth 12k so I’d be patching it up and trading it in. Let’s hope Jaguar offer a suitable solution but it’s your choice and good luck 👍🏻
XE R-Sport 25D AWD, grey, 14 way memory seats/folding mirrors, advanced park, meridian, black pack, privacy, split/folding rear seats.

EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks for the message. It is at the back of my mind - something happened during the engine work last year has led to the failure of the oil pump....

Overall, I've been happy with my dealership so I don't relish the thought of getting into a possible argument with them. It all depends on the 'Good will application' with Jaguar. If Jaguar can fund a good percentage, then I'll go with that. But there's only so much extra I'll pay (compared to an engine rebuild and then quick sale). A new engine from Jaguar would mean that I'll keep the car. But no good will geasture will mean I'll have to repair and then sell. I'm sure I wouldn't be this unlucky again with another Jaguar but sadly, I'm not sure I would want to risk it :-(