Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Post Reply
visartuk
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Contact:

Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by visartuk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm

So contacted various garages to get a front wheel bearing replace on 2015 XE, found one that quoted and took it in.

Three times they have received the wrong part from suppliers, and it now appears they can not be found anywhere. Jaguars response to them was that there is a backlog and they do not know when they will be available.

After searching myself this appears to be true as I cannot find them in stock anywhere either.

With an MOT due in two days it now looks like it will be off the road for some time.


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: N. Staffs

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm

visartuk wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm
So contacted various garages to get a front wheel bearing replace on 2015 XE, found one that quoted and took it in.

Three times they have received the wrong part from suppliers, and it now appears they can not be found anywhere. Jaguars response to them was that there is a backlog and they do not know when they will be available.

After searching myself this appears to be true as I cannot find them in stock anywhere either.

With an MOT due in two days it now looks like it will be off the road for some time.
That doesn't sound too good! I have a noisy right front W/B and have it booked in for that and MOT in less than a fortnight. Have you got the manufacturer's part No. (not Jaguar's) directly off the bearings, if so, let me know what it is and I'll try my usual bearing suppliers.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


visartuk
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Contact:

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by visartuk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Its at the garage at the moment with its wheels off as they try an source it, so I dont have the part number.


User avatar
Mike Rometer
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
Location: N. Staffs

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Cheers anyway. With the P/No we stand a chance, there is more than one quality bearing manufacturer.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)


User avatar
RalphieM
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:46 pm
Location: North London

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by RalphieM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 pm

I work for a motor factors so if you PM me your reg number I should be able to supply you with part numbers from OE specification suppliers that are readily available.
MY18 Dark Sapphire R-Sport 250, Black Pack, Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, Dual Screen ICT Pro, TFT Cluster, Meridian surround sound,19" Sparkle Silver 5071's, Ebony/Light Oyster, Adaptive & Configurable dynamics.


visartuk
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Contact:

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by visartuk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Quick update. The garage managed to find the bearing, but they are rare!. All fitted, MOT done and back on the road... they MOT failed first time as had bulbs fitted by Halfords beforehand, I did not check and I am told the fitted them upside down pointing up in the air. :lol:


BOBCDP
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Vale of Glamorgan

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by BOBCDP » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 pm

visartuk wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Quick update. The garage managed to find the bearing, but they are rare!. All fitted, MOT done and back on the road... they MOT failed first time as had bulbs fitted by Halfords beforehand, I did not check and I am told the fitted them upside down pointing up in the air. :lol:
Got to ask...Which bulbs??
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,


visartuk
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Contact:

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by visartuk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Dipped Headlight H477 went for the 50% extra bright, and dazzled everyone on the way home last night. I was wondering around the shop then realised outside they had the bonnet up scratching their heads, so told them under the wheel arch. My first thoughts were they do not seem that bright, now I know why.


ChrisGB
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Elusive Front Wheel Bearings

Post by ChrisGB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm

visartuk wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm
Dipped Headlight H477 went for the 50% extra bright, and dazzled everyone on the way home last night. I was wondering around the shop then realised outside they had the bonnet up scratching their heads, so told them under the wheel arch. My first thoughts were they do not seem that bright, now I know why.
A mate owns an MOT station and reckons Halfrauds fitted bulbs are one of the most common failures he sees.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!


Post Reply

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”