Start/Stop / Instrument Panel Menu Issue

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
warrenag

Start/Stop / Instrument Panel Menu Issue

Post by warrenag » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi,

I have recently had an intermittent issue with my start/stop and instrument panel menu.

When the engine starts again from start/stop at a standstill (this only actually works about 50 percent of the time!) the menu on the instrument panel comes up as if I've pressed the OK / MENU button. But I haven't pressed anything. This only happens maybe 2 out of 5 times when the start/stop engine comes back to life.

It is timed perfectly with the engine coming back to life and being the 2.0d engine I believe it might be related to the vibration of the engine starting and a possibly faulty wire somewhere within the car. The car is an MY2016 XE with the pre-2016 style instrument cluster menus and display.

I have raised this under the approved used warranty with JLR Farnell Leeds and they have advised if the issue cannot be replicated it will incur a £180 investigation charge.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or is this a precursor of a bigger electrical fault (my initial worry and reason for booking it in). Has anyone else also had problems getting JLR to investigate issues that are intermittent and had any way around paying the investigation charge if it cannot be replicated?

FYI there is nothing on TOPIX relating to this fault either.

Thanks
Jaguar XE 2.0D 163 MY2016 - Factory: Fuji White, Parking Pack, Jet/Red Interior - Modifications: Black Pack, Factory Tints, Alloys and Calipers Resprayed, Sports Pedals

Mikeyjd

Re: Start/Stop / Instrument Panel Menu Issue

Post by Mikeyjd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:41 pm

I don't see how an intermitted problem on a car under warranty shouldn't be investigated without the fear of a charge if the problem doesn't show up. My car had an intermittent issue with engine warning light coming on. The car went in 3 times for the problem to be sorted. Each time a different solution was tried before it was fixed properly. I didn't have to pay and I certainly wouldn't have if they tried to charge.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

warrenag

Post by warrenag » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:07 pm

My thoughts were the same. The bloke on the Jaguar warranty phone line agreed too but it must be JLR Farnell's policy.

Now hoping to get a video of the issue before it goes in really.
Jaguar XE 2.0D 163 MY2016 - Factory: Fuji White, Parking Pack, Jet/Red Interior - Modifications: Black Pack, Factory Tints, Alloys and Calipers Resprayed, Sports Pedals

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm

If it's any consolation, from new mine has occasionally selected 'normal' drive mode by itself instead of eco, on occasion the outside temp shows 80'c for a couple of seconds before settling to actual, and I've once had a 'restricted performance' alarm blip in after an "emergency start" from a junction - but otherwise it's been fine electrically.

Most of it I've just put down to boot-up hiccups which sort themselves out.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

When my amber engine light first came on, I contacted Jaguar and they told me it is safe to drive the car but get it seen to. (It seems that an AMBER light is a warning that something needs looking at, it isn't really critical, A RED engine warning light is a different matter). I booked my car in for a week later. Meanwhile the light went out. This happened about 3 times before the problem was finally sorted.

Amber lights are frequently triggered by a dodgy sensor, or other minor issue. They often clear themselves.

Finally, if people are concerned about Jaguar throwing amber lights now and then, my wife's RAV4 is shocking. It is a massive problem with them, often caused by something simple like a lose brake light switch.
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. Corris Grey - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, Folding Rear Seats, plus loads of extras.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Finally, if people are concerned about Jaguar throwing amber lights now and then, my wife's RAV4 is shocking. It is a massive problem with them, often caused by something simple like a lose brake light switch.
Ha ha, reminds me of an Alfa 147 I had many moons ago, a great car that never let me down in 7 years but the dash would sometimes light up like a Xmas tree. It wasn't just down to the Italian electrics either as a lot of the components on it were Bosch. Restarting the engine used to clear it.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”