Keyless Entry

All Jaguar XE related discussions
phil-c

Keyless Entry

Post by phil-c » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi Ive just picked up my car 17 plate portfolio 2L Diesel,
Love the car but have a question on the key
I was thought to believe that i wouldn't need to press the fob button to unlock the door just be near it to open,
is it just certain models that have auto unlock or do i need to set something somewhere to have this work.
XE 2L Diesel [180] Portfolio

Rob Wright

Re: Keyless Entry

Post by Rob Wright » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Some cars have keyless, some don't. It all depends on the original buyer and what they spec. Look at the door handles, if they have a dimple about the size of a 5p then it's likely to have keyless. If the handles don't have the dimple, then keyless wasn't optioned. My first Xe had it, my current Xe doesn't. No big deal to me as keyless has it's own security issues.
Caesium Blue 30T AWD Portfolio '17 plate, ICTP, Meridian Surround, and lots more! :D

Previously a 25D R-sport.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi Phil,

To the best of my knowledge, keyless entry was not standard equipment on MY17, but an extra cost option. To be sure, I would suggest registering as an Independent Operator on TOPIx and from there you'll be able to check the features that your specific vehicle left the factory with. That would allow you to find out whether your car was equipped with keyless entry, and in case it was but it's not functioning, then you'll know it's faulty. If it was not so equipped, then you have no problem :).

Here is the link to TOPIx: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/v ... lookupForm
MY20: S P250 RWD in Portofino Blue and Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seats; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats

phil-c

Post by phil-c » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for the quick answers looks like i don't have key less entry at least i know
XE 2L Diesel [180] Portfolio

fraser

Post by fraser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Having owned my XE for 14 months which has keyless, I think you're probably better off without it. I really cannot see what the advantage is over the normal plipper button and ignition key. Then there is the security problem with criminal gangs going round with receivers to pick up the key signal and then use it to unlock the car and driver away. I believe the latest keys cease to transmit when no motion is detected for about 30 seconds.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Your car is the same age as mine, which has keyless operation. To open the car you just put your hand on the handle and it unlocks the car. To lock it you touch the dimple on the outside of the door handle. This works for any door handle front and rear. As said before, this was an additional option.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black