Starting Up " or not as the case maybe"

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Stevie XE

Starting Up " or not as the case maybe"

Post by Stevie XE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 pm

66 plate xe
Can take 6 or 7 go's to start... Doing all the button n clutch biz but main screen n 8" screen light up n go off loads times... Does start 1st time sometimes..
ANY TIPS OR CLUES WELCOME :D :D

Zingiber

Re: Starting Up " or not as the case maybe"

Post by Zingiber » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm

The screen going on and off, wouldn't that suggest it's the battery?
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

Stevie XE

Post by Stevie XE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 pm

My thoughts tbh... Battery only reading 78% on checking

myquest

Post by myquest » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 am

Does the engine crank over on the button at each attempt?
XE-S. MY17. Usual stuff.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 am

I would also say battery. There have been instances of the systems not shutting down completely and the battery dies as it is continually drained. There is a JLR fix if necessary. Are you double locking when you get out? If not that can also leave the battery draining. Keep the key fob at least 16 ft away from the car as well. Charge the battery with a modern charger and see how long it takes. If it is taking a very long time say over 5 hours then it is highly likely it is not shutting down properly. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... HR3cVFkMTA
BCR-23993 Battery Care.pdf
(75.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
These are information items and will require JLR diagnostics but are worth a read
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Stevie XE

Post by Stevie XE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

myquest wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 am
Does the engine crank over on the button at each attempt?
Don't physically turn over but can hear stuff going on lol

Stevie XE

Post by Stevie XE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am

Vespa wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 am
I would also say battery. There have been instances of the systems not shutting down completely and the battery dies as it is continually drained. There is a JLR fix if necessary. Are you double locking when you get out? If not that can also leave the battery draining. Keep the key fob at least 16 ft away from the car as well. Charge the battery with a modern charger and see how long it takes. If it is taking a very long time say over 5 hours then it is highly likely it is not shutting down properly.
JTB00446 - Battery And__Or Charging System Concerns _ TOPIx.pdf
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... HR3cVFkMTA
BCR-23993 Battery Care.pdf

These are information items and will require JLR diagnostics but are worth a read
Tbh don't double lock as a rule.. Should I?. Key Fob away yep as a rule... Many thanks.. Try to find somewhere to charge it now lol... Or about £160 for new battery 🙄😕😡

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Buy one of the Lidl chargers that are similar to the CTek chargers. If you live in a street that you have to have the car on the road then just sit in it with something to entertain you so nobady messes with it. Otherwise connect the earth -ve, to a stud in the boot and the +ve direct to the battery. At 5 amps you are looking at 16 hours from flat.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Just a suggestion if charging or new battery doesn’t solve it.... I had exactly the same problem and, after three recoveries and two new starter motors, it turned out to be a wiring connector between the under bonnet fuse box and the starter motor that wasn’t snapped fully together
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm

interesting note about double locking Vespa, I left mine unlocked by mistake overnight and the % charged actually went up. how does that work
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red