Dunlop Sportmax tyres cracking

New to the Jaguar XE Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bully

Dunlop Sportmax tyres cracking

Post by Bully » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm

I have had the first MOT on my 2017 XE AWD and whilst it readily passed, the underbody inspection video revealed significant long cracks on the circumference on the inner tyre sidewalls but not yet revealing the reinforcement under the tread of the front tyres. These tyres are 3 years old, have only done 12000 miles and the tread depth was 4.5/5mm. I note from other posts XEs with very similar aged tyres had the same problem. It appears this is clearly a fault with the tyres. Needless to say for safety reasons, I would not drive the car from the garage until the tyres had been changed. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what has been the reaction from Jaguar/Dunlop to these faults? No signs of cracking yet on the rear tyres!!

Faltwen

Re: Dunlop Sportmax tyres cracking

Post by Faltwen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

I had same problem but on the outside and all 4, came up as advisory on MOT. Must say I didn't bother complaining, the tyres were 3 years old and the car had only done 16000 miles, they would most likely have said age which wouldn't have been a problem if the car was doing normal mileage.
I've been driving for 40 years, always used "middle of the range" tyres, finally got a car with supposedly premium tyres on and they crack.
Decided to bite the bullet a few months back, fitted 4 x middle range Avon ZV7 - £350 all in. Sorted, and won't be rushing out for premium tyres anytime soon.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Something seems to have gone wrong with Dunlop Sportmax tyres in the last few years. I originally had Pirellis on my XKR but changed them to Sportmax about 6 years ago due to tramlining from the Pirellis. The first set of Dunlops were excellent and when they needed replacing I stuck with the same make. But the latter sets have given me some very strange problems. At very low speed one set of rears sounded like Rice Krispies - snap, crackle and pop. The noise diminished after a couple of thousand miles, but it was all a bit odd.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 pm

There seems to be a consensus among many Jag fora that Michelin pilot sport 4s are one of the best I would recommend them. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:28 am

Some owners have managed to get the Dunlop tyres changed for free at the dealers due to this.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

BRC

Post by BRC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 am

I too had this "cracking" with Dunlop tyres on a lease car. Went through one MOT with said tyres and then another the following year. Shortly after that the car was chopped in but clearly something the main dealer/MOT'er/leaser had seen before and not overly fussed by it. Just doesn't inspire confidence in the product or brand but apparently "not dangerous". Hmmmm..........
XE Portfolio now replaced by an XF R Sport and a Z4 garage queen!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am

We have to take in the age of the tyre. The tyres were used for 3 years but their age could be 4-5 years and that could only be confirmed with a check on the manufacturing date on the tyre wall. Sadly they have now gone unless the fitter still has them on site. The other consideration with tyres, is the pressure and if that is maintained correctly. Far too many now rely on the TPMS before checking the tyres regularly. Running a few pounds under pressure will put extra strain on the tyre walls and add to the wear speed up. As tyres get older they lose their flex because of several factors and minor cracking is common on all makes after a few years. The sun is a big factor in tyre degradation. I am not suggesting that they were neglected but there are factors that cause this cracking and all tyres will get it at some point if they get older than 3 years.
Regarding AVON tyres. They were standard choice on Rolls Royce and Bentley years back. I have used them many times and have a comparison of good and bad. On my Rover 400 hatch they were brilliant. I changed to a Rover 45 V6 and at the first tyre change fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx. They were dreadful for wear so I got a set of AVON's as they had been great on the 400 hatchback, positive grip and great wearing tyres. The V6 was a saloon and they were dreadful tyres on that car wearing quickly and poor grip. My wife had them on her Rover 25 and they were brilliant tyres. Make of that what you will. I have dug this out to read regarding tyres in general.
https://www.ntda.co.uk/useful-links/tyr ... %20weather.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 am

The tyres that cracked on my car were definitely 3 years old as I checked the dates on the sidewalls myself.
In the case of my car I think it was because it had only done 6500 miles in the first two years, it was registered in Exeter so slightly more sun. Definitely stood around for a lot of its life
One tyre fitter also told me that tyre dressing doesn't help but I'm not sure about that and it's not something I use.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Nuttyspark

Post by Nuttyspark » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:28 am

Faltwen wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm
I had same problem but on the outside and all 4, came up as advisory on MOT. Must say I didn't bother complaining, the tyres were 3 years old and the car had only done 16000 miles, they would most likely have said age which wouldn't have been a problem if the car was doing normal mileage.
I've been driving for 40 years, always used "middle of the range" tyres, finally got a car with supposedly premium tyres on and they crack.
Decided to bite the bullet a few months back, fitted 4 x middle range Avon ZV7 - £350 all in. Sorted, and won't be rushing out for premium tyres anytime soon.
Hi Faltwen
I had the Avon tyres on my Focus. Actually lost a couple of miles per gallon but my God it could go around corners like it was a rollercoaster!! Brilliant in the wet too. Want to put these on my XE when the time comes, how do you find them on yours? Any issues with ride and handling?
Thanks
2017 Dark Sapphire 180D. Cold climate pack, reverse camera, Meridian sound system and 10" touch pro. Oh and a fully functioning S/S. :o

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 am

I had cracking on my Pirelli's at 3 years old, not to the extent of the posters Sportmax, I swapped them for the Michelin PS4s. I definitely think sunlight has a lot to do with degradation. As for tyre dressings I think there are some that have UV protection but if they work I've no idea!? maybe just put some factor 50 sunscreen on!!!!? :lol:
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics