Sick of this vibration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
franko666

Car Vibrates When Idling

Post by franko666 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Since I got my new XE R Sport (2.0 180 Auto) in June, sometimes when you are sitting at traffic lights without the auto stop/start on, that the car wobbles slightly and the engine sounds like a tractor. Only happens at random times. Took it back to dealer and they told me they have checked it over and nothing shows up on the EMS. They told me they have reset the car, and after 3 days, the issue returned.
Anyone else had this problem?
2017 Jaguar XE R Sport, Grey

NewLester de Rocin

Re: Car Vibrates When Idling

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm

:| This may sound like a brush-off answer, but it's not. My presumption is that it’s due to you still being in the break-in period (and I’m only assuming this is a new-from-factory car you have).

Mine was a 2017 tier-3 model (one level down from your tier, I think).

:o It used to leap forward all the time as if it were in Dynamic Mode instead of Normal Mode.
:shock: When I left it idling for a minute while I walked to open the garage, I’d hear it THRUM-ing, THRUM-ing, THRUMMING, like an breathless angry chained-up dragon or something, both tailpipes were leaving small puddles of water on the driveway, and I could FEEL the same rough thrumming in the whole car when I sat back in it. I became afraid to idle the car for any period of time at all.

But after 4 months (about 4000 miles), the car smooths out. It practically becomes TOO silent and obedient.
:) The Normal Mode behaves like a “Normal” mode now… ( :lol: though now I kind of miss the untamed aggressiveness the car had when it was still breaking-in).
The vibration and the tailpipe water when idling in my driveway has completely gone (though it will still SOUND like a revving tractor if I idle for many minutes).
I think many sporadic owners have reported a wide variety of harmless-but-queer quirks about the engine during the break-in---Jaguar (not the dealership, but JAGUAR customer assistance) seems to consider it the experience of your parts "mating together".

:| That break-in idling vibration made me nervous---thinking maybe the petrol station I’d chosen was giving me dirty fuel… or something is mis-tuned with the cylinders… or something’s clogged and spitting out water through the exhaust.
Though I probably don’t have to worry anymore, as a habit, I still avoid idling around in my driveway or parking lots for more than a minute. I’d hate to be wrong about the break-in period, and have that behavior return.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Lester, he has a diesel and I'm pretty sure you have a petrol plus the things you are describing with yours are perfectly normal.
Cold air in the exhaust on start up causes condensation which can leave puddles and cause steam especially in cold weather which might explain why you saw it 4 months ago (cold weather) and why you don't see it now (warmer weather).

Can any of the diesel members assist with this one?
I seem to remember some campaign about the camshaft sensor needing fettling but Frank's seems to be quite a recent car?
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I spoke to my dealer yesterday as the HO27 Camshaft sensor was checked at the last service, on cold the car clatters like a 90's Cavalier and like others I believe it's the splash guards underneath that vibrate like a wobble board. Sending vibrations from the engine down below the floor pan because the guards are not tied down at the back. I asked if there was any official cure and the answer was 'NO'

phoboff's video is exactly the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nq6ZyAYqyM
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

franko666

Post by franko666 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

I have it going back to the dealer again and he wants to keep it for a few days so he can duplicate the problem if possible.
If they cant get it fixed, then a new engine?
The car is only 7 weeks old. Not what i expected from a very expensive car!!
2017 Jaguar XE R Sport, Grey

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 am

I doubt it will need a new engine.
There was another issue that some had regarding the engine mounts.
I seem to remember that they are "smart" and there is a vacuum pipe that powers them.
I'm pretty sure some had this pipe come off causing the excessive vibration at times.
Might be worth getting them to check that out too.
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

richmond

Post by richmond » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 am

With engineering if you make something more complicated then you're going to have more problems. I wonder how necessary these strange mounts really are?
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

pem

Post by pem » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

vibration on idling is a justifiable excuse for foot to the floorboards driving :lol:
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 pm

I somehow missed this one and had the same vibration when cold back in the winter where the car felt as if it was wobbling when still. I took it to the dealer who found nothing. Since then, rightly or wrongly, I have been using Millers Eco Max. Now the vibration has gone. Maybe it is the weather that is warmer that has cured it or maybe the upping of the cetane value with the Millers. I cannot actually say which. So why not try one of the premium diesel brands such as Shell V Power. I used that in my petrol Rover V6 and it most definitely made that run better. You could try a one shot of Millers Ecomax just to see if that helps. I know many on here would poo poo additives but I actually think that Ecomax does make a difference. i have used it in the VW I had from new and just recently (Feb) in this car.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

FourFoot

Post by FourFoot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:49 pm

When you say vibration, is it quite a slow bumpy vibration/judder (like someone is shaking your car or bouncing in the back seat)?

Mine (180 diesel) does a vibration/shake when I'm stopped and have my foot lightly on the brake - my dealer said this happens in the auto as it's something to do with the gearbox/torque converter, when you're hard on the brake it switches to a kind of "neutral" mode, then when you release the brake it applies the engine power to the gearbox again and the position I was holding the brake was on the switchover point so it kept switching between power/no power to the gearbox, resulting in a vibration/judder.

Don't know how much truth there is in that or if it was a brush-off, but applying more pressure to the brake does stop the issue in my case.
XE Portfolio - 2.0D 180 auto - Meridian 825, plenty of accessories
F-Type 400 Sport Convertible Special Edition - supercharged 3.0 V6 400 auto - Meridian 770, climate pack, parking pack

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”